The consumption of sugars, fats, and sodium exceeds recommended guidelines before many US children reach school age, and this can influence future eating patterns, a recent study found. Cross-sectional data from the NHANES 2009-2014 were used to estimate: mean intake of sugars, saturated fats, and sodium; the proportion exceeding recommended limits; and the leading sources of these nutrients in the diets of 3,345 US children aged <5 years. Researchers found:
- Nonbreastfeeding children in this study group consumed a mean percent of total energy of 10.1% from added sugars (ASs), 13.9% from free sugars, 12.8% from saturated fats, and 1,804 mg Na.
- Sugary beverages contributed to 6.7%, with consumption lower among higher-income children.
- AS and sodium intake rose rapidly from infancy to age 1-<2 years and gradually thereafter.
- Saturated fat intake was highest in infancy.
- Intake exceeded recommended limits for ASs, free sugars, saturated fats, and sodium for 45%, 63%, 72%, and 67% of all children, respectively.
Wang Y, Guglielmo D, Welsh JA. Consumption of sugars, saturated fat, and sodium among US children from infancy through preschool age, NHANES 2009–2014. [Published online ahead of print September 20, 2018]. Am J Clin Nutrit. doi:10.1093/ajcn/nqy168.
This Week's Must Reads
USPSTF: Screening for Intimate Partner Violence, JAMA; 2018 Oct 23/30; US Preventive Services Task Force
High HbA1c Variability and Risk of MACE, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Oct 23; Ghouse, et al
Omega 3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids & Healthy Aging, BMJ; ePub 2018 Oct 17; Lai, Otto, et al
Gaps in HIV PrEP by Race and Ethnicity, MMWR; 2018 Oct 19; Huang, Zhu, et al
Kidney Damage Biomarkers & Incident CKD in BP Reduction, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2018 Oct 23; Zhang, et al
Must Reads in Pediatrics
Prevalence of Depression & Anxiety in Children, J Pediatr; ePub 2018 Oct 12; Ghandour, et al
Adverse Childhood Experiences & Weight Status, J Pediatr; ePub 2018 Oct 1; Davis, Barnes, et al
Intake of Sugars and Saturated Fats in US Children, Am J Clin Nutrit; ePub 2018 Sep 20; Wang, et al
MDD Screening Remains Low in Adolescents , J Pediatr; ePub 2018 Sep 21; Sekhar, et al
Integrated programs ease sickle cell pain, hospitalizations, Annual meeting of the Foundation for Sickle Cell Disease Research