Declining rates of vascular disease mortality in the US have led to a diversification of forms of diabetes-related mortality with important implications for clinical management, prevention, and disease monitoring. Using data from the National Health Interview Survey Linked Mortality files from 1985 to 2015, researchers estimated age-specific death rates and proportional mortality from all causes, vascular causes, cancers, and non-vascular, non-cancer causes among US adults by diabetes status. They found:
- From 1988-1994, to 2010-2015, all-cause death rates declined by 20% every 10 years among US adults with diabetes.
- Death from vascular causes decreased 32% every 10 years, deaths from cancers decreased 16% every 10 years, and the rate of non-vascular, non-cancer deaths declined by 8% every 10 years.
- Death rates also declined significantly among people without diagnosed diabetes in all 4 major mortality categories.
- However, the declines in death rates were significantly greater among those with diabetes for all-causes, vascular causes, and non-vascular, non-cancer causes.
- Among those with diabetes, all-cause mortality rates declined most in men and adults aged 65-74 years.
Gregg EW, Cheng YJ, Srinivasan M, et al. Trends in cause-specific mortality among adults with and without diabetes in the USA: An epidemiologic analysis of linked national survey and vital statistics data. [Published online ahead of print May 18, 2018]. Lancet. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(18)30314-3.
This Week's Must Reads
Reactogenicity & Immunogenicity of Tdap in Pregnancy, Vaccine; ePub 2018 Sep 13; Fortner, et al
Barriers to Implementation of Vaccine Standards, Vaccine; ePub 2018 Sep 20; Srivastav, et al
Intra-Season Waning of Influenza Vaccine Efficacy, Open Forum Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Sep 10; Ray, et al
Pneumococcal Disease in Older Adults After PCV13, Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Sep 20; Pelton, et al
Mumps Outbreaks in Vaccinated US Populations, Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Sep 10; Clemmons, et al
Must Reads in Diabetes
Statins for Prevention of CVD in the Elderly , BMJ; ePub 2018 Sep 5; Ramos, Comas-Cuff, et al
GD & Maternal Disorders of Glucose Metabolism, JAMA; 2018 Sep 11; Lowe, Scholtens, et al
Treatment Intensification Guidelines for T2D , Ann Intern Med; ePub 2018 Sep 4; Roglic, et al
Prevalence of Diabetes Among US Adults, BMJ; ePub 2018 Aug 27; Xu, Liu, et al
Aspirin for Primary CV Prevention in Diabetes, N Engl J Med; ePub 2018 Aug 26; ASCEND Study Collaborative Group