Advances in HIV prevention and treatment with antiretroviral drugs continue to improve clinical management and outcomes for individuals at risk for and living with HIV, according to updated recommendations of the International Antiviral Society‒USA Panel. Researchers evaluated new data and treatments and established updated recommendations for initiating therapy, monitoring those starting therapy, changing regiments, and preventing HIV infection for individuals at risk. Among the findings:
- Antiretroviral therapy (ART) is recommended for virtually all HIV-infected individuals, as soon as possible after HIV diagnosis.
- Immediate initiation, if clinically appropriate, requires adequate staffing, specialized services, and careful selection of medical therapy.
- An integrase strand transfer inhibitor (InSTI) plus 2 nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs) is generally recommended for initial therapy.
- CD4 cell count, HIV RNA level, genotype, and other laboratory tests for general health and coinfections are recommended at specified points before and during ART.
- Preexposure prophylaxis with tenofovir disoproxil fumarate/emtricitabine and appropriate monitoring is recommended for individuals at risk for HIV.
Saag MS, Benson CA, Gandhi RT, et al. Antiretroviral drugs for treatment and prevention of HIV infection in adults. 2018 recommendations of the International Antiviral Society–USA Panel. JAMA. 2018;320(4):379–396. doi:10.1001/jama.2018.8431.
This Week's Must Reads
Is Obesity Associated With Adverse CV Outcomes?, JAMA Netw Open; 2018 Nov 16; Riaz, et al
BMI & Risk of Postpregnancy T2D in Women with HDP , Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Nov 19; Timpka, et al
Diabetes Outcomes in Patients by PCPs, NPs, or PAs, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2018 Nov 20; Jackson, et al
Traumatic Exposures & Health Issues in Older Women, JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2018 Nov 19; Gibson, et al
Risk of Opioid Overdose Hospitalizations , J Am Board Fam Med; 2018 Nov-Dec; Peters, et al
Must Reads in Clinical Guidelines
Cholesterol Guidelines Stress Lifetime Approach, Circulation; ePub 2018 Nov 10; Grundy, et al
USPSTF: Screen Adults for Unhealthy Alcohol Use, JAMA; 2018 Nov 13; Curry, et al
Screening for Syphilis Infection in Pregnant Women, JAMA; 2018 Sep 4; US Preventive Services Task Force
Treatment Intensification Guidelines for T2D , Ann Intern Med; ePub 2018 Sep 4; Roglic, et al
Low-Calorie Sweetened Beverages & Cardiometabolic Health, Circulation; ePub 2018 Jul 30; Johnson, et al