Among untreated adults, the burden of potentially modifiable risk factors for hypertension shows progressive increase along newly-defined pressure (BP) categories from the 2017 American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association (ACC/AHA) guidelines, a recent study found. Researchers analyzed data from the 1999-2014 National Health and Examination Survey (NHANES, n=37,448). Potentially modifiable risk factors included abdominal obesity, high non-HDL-cholesterol, secondhand smoking, binge drinking, suboptimal physical activity (PA), and low fiber diet. They found:
- The prevalence of certain modifiable risk factors decreased during the study period.
- However, the prevalence of low fiber intake, suboptimal PA, abdominal obesity, and binge drinking remined high during the last combined survey cycle.
- Modifiable risk factors generally demonstrated dose-response relationships with high BP categories.
- The most common type of risk factor clustering included low fiber intake, suboptimal PA, high non-HDL cholesterol and abdominal obesity, with its prevalence increasing gradually from 9.5% in the normal BP group to 16.5% in the state 2 hypertension group.
- The prevalence of ≥4 modifiable risk factors per participant increased stepwise.
Gu A, Yue Y, Kim J, Argulian E. The burden of modifiable risk factors in newly defined categories of blood pressure. [Published online ahead of print July 26, 2018]. Am J Med. doi:10.1016/j.amjmed.2018.06.030.
This Week's Must Reads
Screening for Syphilis Infection in Pregnant Women, JAMA; 2018 Sep 4; US Preventive Services Task Force
Treatment Intensification Guidelines for T2D , Ann Intern Med; ePub 2018 Sep 4; Roglic, et al
Immediate vs Gradual Nicotine Reduction in Cigarettes, JAMA; ePub 2018 Sep 4; Hatsukami, et al
Prevalence of Diabetes Among US Adults, BMJ; ePub 2018 Aug 27; Xu, Liu, et al
Effect of Fish Oil Supplementation in Pregnancy, BMJ; ePub 2018 Sep 4; Vinding, Stokholm, et al
Must Reads in Cardiology
Aspirin for Primary CV Prevention in Diabetes, N Engl J Med; ePub 2018 Aug 26; ASCEND Study Collaborative Group
CV Mortality Among Adults with Diabetes, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Aug 21; Cheng, et al
Does Dietary Diversity Promote a Healthy Weight?, Circulation; ePub 2018 Aug 9; de Oliveira, et al
USPSTF: Recommendation in Screening for AF, JAMA; 2018 Aug 7; US Preventive Services Task Force
Contemporary Management of Patients with PE, Am J Med; ePub 2018 Aug 10; Secemsky, et al