Self-reported consumption of both sugar-sweetened beverages (SSBs) and low-calorie sweetened beverages (LCS) beverages had been declining in the US; however, the use of alternatives to SSBs, with a focus on water, should be encouraged. This according to a new science advisory from the American Heart Association (AHA) that reviews evidence from observational studies and clinical trials assessing the cardiometabolic outcomes of LCS beverages. Among the AHA conclusions and recommendations:
- The use of LCS beverages may be an effective strategy to help control energy intake and promote weight loss.
- However, there is evidence on the potential adverse effects of LCS beverages relative to potential benefits.
- Therefore, it is prudent to advise against prolonged consumption of LCS beverages by children.
- In adults, LCS beverages may be a useful replacement strategy to reduce intake of SSBs.
- The use of other alternatives to SSBs, with a focus on water (plain, carbonated, and unsweetened flavored), should be encouraged.
Johnson RK, Lichtenstein AH, Anderson CAM, et al. Low-calorie sweetened beverages and cardiometabolic health. A science advisory from the American Heart Association. [Published online ahead of print July 30, 2018]. Circulation. doi:10.1161/CIR.0000000000000569.
This Week's Must Reads
Screening for Syphilis Infection in Pregnant Women, JAMA; 2018 Sep 4; US Preventive Services Task Force
Treatment Intensification Guidelines for T2D , Ann Intern Med; ePub 2018 Sep 4; Roglic, et al
Immediate vs Gradual Nicotine Reduction in Cigarettes, JAMA; ePub 2018 Sep 4; Hatsukami, et al
Prevalence of Diabetes Among US Adults, BMJ; ePub 2018 Aug 27; Xu, Liu, et al
Effect of Fish Oil Supplementation in Pregnancy, BMJ; ePub 2018 Sep 4; Vinding, Stokholm, et al
Must Reads in Cardiology
Aspirin for Primary CV Prevention in Diabetes, N Engl J Med; ePub 2018 Aug 26; ASCEND Study Collaborative Group
CV Mortality Among Adults with Diabetes, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Aug 21; Cheng, et al
Does Dietary Diversity Promote a Healthy Weight?, Circulation; ePub 2018 Aug 9; de Oliveira, et al
USPSTF: Recommendation in Screening for AF, JAMA; 2018 Aug 7; US Preventive Services Task Force
Contemporary Management of Patients with PE, Am J Med; ePub 2018 Aug 10; Secemsky, et al