E-cigarette use is common in the US, especially among younger adults, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons, current cigarette smokers, and those with comorbid conditions. This according to a recent cross-sectional study that examined the prevalence and distribution of e-cigarette use among US adults in 2016. Participants aged ≥18 years were grouped by sociodemographic, comorbid medical conditions, and states of residence. Researchers found:
- Of participants with information on e-cigarette use (n=466,842), 15,240 were current e-cigarette users (prevalence 4.5%), which corresponds to 10.8 million adult e-cigarette users in the US.
- The prevalence of current e-cigarette use was highest among persons aged 18-24 years (9.2%).
- More than half of current e-cigarette users (51.2%) were aged <35 years.
- Age-standardized prevalence of e-cigarette use was high among men, LGBT persons, current combustible cigarette smokers, and those with chronic health conditions.
- The prevalence of e-cigarette use differed widely across states.
Mirbolouk M, Charkhchi P, Kianoush S, et al. Prevalence and distribution of E-cigarette use among U.S. adults: Behavioral risk factor surveillance system, 2016. Ann Intern Med. 2018;169:429–438. doi:10.7326/M17-3440.
This Week's Must Reads
Intensive BP Control & Risk of Dementia, JAMA; ePub 2019 Jan 28; SPRINT MIND Investigators
Outpatient Care for Adults With Primary Care, JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2019 Jan 28; Levine, et al
Antibiotic Therapy in Patients with Asthma, JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2019 Jan 28; Stefan, et al
Outpatient Benzodiazepine Prescribing in US, JAMA Netw Open; 2019 Jan 25; Agarwal, et al
Reduction of Readmissions Through Primary Care, JAMA Netw Open; 2019 Jan 25; Wiest, et al
Must Reads in Addiction Medicine
Opioid-Involved Overdose Deaths in the US, MMWR; 2019 Jan 4; Scholl, Seth, et al
HF Hospitalizations & Substance Abuse Disorders, Am J Med; ePub 2018 Dec 15; Snow, et al
Secondhand Smoke Exposure in Nonsmokers, MMWR; 2018 Dec 7; Tsai, Homa, et al
USPSTF: Screen Adults for Unhealthy Alcohol Use, JAMA; 2018 Nov 13; Curry, et al
Prevalence of E-Cigarette Use Among US Adults, Ann Intern Med; 2018 Oct 2; Mirbolouk, et al