Measures of obesity were significantly associated with an increased risk for incident rosacea in women, according to a recent study. A total of 89,886 participants were included from the Nurses’ Health Study II (1991-2005). Information on history of clinician-diagnosed rosacea and year of diagnosis was collected in 2005 and data on obesity were collected biennially during follow-up. Researchers found:
- Over 14 years of follow-up, they identified 5,249 incident cases of rosacea.
- The risk for rosacea was elevated for those with increased body mass index (BMI).
- Compared with a BMI of 21.0-22.9 kg/m2, the hazard ratio of rosacea was 1.48 for a BMI≥35.0.
- There was a trend toward an increased risk for rosacea among participants who had gained weight after age 18, with a hazard ratio of 1.04 per 10-pound weight gain.
- There was a significantly increased risk for rosacea associated with higher waist circumference and hip circumference, and the associations appeared to be independent of BMI.
Li S, Cho E, Drucker AM, Qureshi AA, Li W-Q. Obesity linked with rosacea risk in women. [Published online ahead of print October 21, 2017]. J Am Acad Dermatol. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2017.08.032.
This Week's Must Reads
Opioids and the Dermatology Medicare Population, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Feb 7; Cao, et al
Significant Care Costs Associated with Cellulitis, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Feb 7; St. John, et al
An Analysis of Adherence to Melanoma Treatment , J Clin Aesthet Dermatol; 2017 Dec; Reserva, et al
Underlying Disease Impact on Pyoderma Gangrenosum, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Feb 10; Kaffenberger, et al
FDA Approves Label Update for Cosentyx, Novartis news release; 2018 Feb 8
Must Reads in Rosacea
Obesity Linked with Rosacea Risk in Women, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2017 Oct 21; Li, et al
Costs of Acne/Rosacea Medication in Medicare, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2017 Jun 24; Zhang, et al
Rosacea Risk Persists Among Former Smokers, Am J Epidemiol; ePub 2017 May 3; Li, et al
Alcohol Intake Linked to Rosacea in Women, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2017 Apr 20; Li, et al
FDA Approves Rhofade for Adult Rosacea, Allergan news release; 2017 Jan 19