1 in 5 patients with psoriasis have psoriatic arthritis (PsA), according to a recent review and meta-analysis, and with the growing recognition of ClASsification criteria for Psoriatic ARthritis (CASPAR), more homogenous and comparable prevalence estimates are expected to be reported. 2 authors independently searched 3 databases for studies reporting on the prevalence or incidence of PsA in patients with psoriasis. A proportion meta-analysis was performed to calculate the pooled proportion estimates of PsA in patients with psoriasis. They found:
- A total of 266 studies were included, examining 976,408 patients with psoriasis.
- Overall, the pooled proportion of PsA among patients with psoriasis was 19.7% (18.5%-20.9%).
- In children and adolescents (<18 years), the pooled prevalence was 3.3% (2.1%-4.9%).
- The PsA prevalence was 22.7% (20.6%-25.0%) in European, 21.5% (15.4%-28.2%) South American, 19.5% (17.1%-22.1%) North American, 15.5% (0.009%-51.5%) African, and 14.0% (11.7%-16.3%) in Asian psoriasis patients.
- The prevalence of PsA was 23.8% (20.1%-27.6%) in studies where the CASPAR was applied.
- The incidence of PsA among psoriasis patients ranged from 0.27 to 2.7 per 100 person-years.
Alinaghi F, Calov M, Kristensen LE, et al. Prevalence of psoriatic arthritis in patients with psoriasis: A systematic review and meta-analysis of observational and clinical studies. [Published online ahead of print June 18, 2018]. J Am Acad Dermatol. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2018.06.027.
This Week's Must Reads
ALT-70 Gets High Marks for Diagnosing Cellulitis, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Jul 9; Li, et al
MMS/MART-1 Immunostaining for Atypical Melanocytes, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Jul 9; Etzkorn, et al
Economic Analysis of Noninvasive Pathologic Assay, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Jul 11; Hornberger, et al
Use of Advanced Practice Professionals on the Rise, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Jul 11; Zhang, et al
Folate and Risk of Cutaneous Melanoma in Women, Cancer Epidemiol; 2018 Aug; Dhana, Ten, Li, et al
Must Reads in Psoriasis
Psoriasis, Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease Linked, J Clin Asthet Dermatol; 2018 Jun 1; Awosika, et al
Dietary Recommendations for Adults with Psoriasis, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Jun 20; Ford, et al
20% of Patients with Psoriasis Found to Have PsA, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Jun 18; Alinaghi, et al
Citizen Pscientist: Important New Research Tool, Dermatol Ther (Heidelb); ePub 2018 Jun 6; Sanchez, et al
FDA Extends Label for Cimzia for Plaque Psoriasis, UCB news release; 2018 May 29