Patients diagnosed with post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, men, and those with disease duration <1 year reported lower sunscreen usage, a recent study found. These groups might benefit from increased counseling on sun-protective behaviors. Researchers conducted a cross-sectional study with 404 adults who complained of cutaneous hyperpigmentation. They found:
- About 67.5% reported using a product containing sunscreen, and 91% endorsed using one with a sun protection factor of ≥21.
- Among the participants, 48.5% were not sure if their sunscreen provided broad-spectrum protection, and only 7.6% reapplied every 2 hours.
- The odds of a patient with melasma using sunscreen were 6.7 times the odds of a patient with post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation using sunscreen.
- Additional predictors for sunscreen use were female sex and disease duration of ≥1 year.
- In a multivariate analysis, the odds ratio of sunscreen use among African Americans compared to whites was 0.31.
Maymone MBC, Neamab HH, Wirya SA, et al. Sun-protective behaviors in patients with cutaneous hyperpigmentation: A cross-sectional study. [Published online ahead of print February 15, 2017]. J Am Acad Dermatol. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2016.12.018.
This Week's Must Reads
ALT-70 Gets High Marks for Diagnosing Cellulitis, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Jul 9; Li, et al
MMS/MART-1 Immunostaining for Atypical Melanocytes, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Jul 9; Etzkorn, et al
Economic Analysis of Noninvasive Pathologic Assay, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Jul 11; Hornberger, et al
Use of Advanced Practice Professionals on the Rise, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Jul 11; Zhang, et al
Folate and Risk of Cutaneous Melanoma in Women, Cancer Epidemiol; 2018 Aug; Dhana, Ten, Li, et al
Must Reads in Pigmentation Disorders
Anti-Cancer Therapies, Pigmentary Changes Linked, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2017 Sep 14; Dai, Belum, et al
Morphologic CALM Features Help Determine Treatment, JAMA Dermatol; ePub 2017 Aug 30; Belkin, et al
MKTP Procedure Satisfactory for Leukoderma Treatment, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2017 May 11; Silpa-Archa, et al
Hyperpigmentation Patients: Less Sunscreen Usage, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2017 Feb 15; Maymone, et al
Risk Factors for Vitiligo Examined in Women, J Invest Dermatol; ePub 2017 Feb 14; Dunlap, et al