Graft-versus-host-disease (GVHD) is a potentially fatal condition that can occur after solid organ transplantation (SOT) and often presents with a skin rash. Upon conducting a systematic literature review of SOT GVHD, investigators recommend that dermatologists have a low threshold to consider and pursue this diagnosis in the setting of post-SOT skin eruption.
The review included 61 articles, representing 115 patients and 126 transplanted organs. Key points include:
- The most commonly transplanted organ was the liver (n=81).
- Among total patients, 101 (87.8%) developed skin involvement.
- The eruption appeared an average of 48.3 days (range, 3-243 days) posttransplant and was pruritic in 5 of 101 (4.9%) cases.
- The eruption was described as morbilliform in 2 patients (1.9%), confluent in 6 (5.9%), and desquamative in 4 (3.9%) cases.
- The mortality rate was 72.2%.
- Relative time of death was reported in 23 patients who died during the follow-up period; they died an average of 99.2 days (range, 22-270 days) posttransplant, or 50.9 days after the appearance of dermatologic symptoms.
- Frequent causes of death were sepsis and multiorgan failure.
Kim GY, Schmelkin LA, Davis MDP, et al. Dermatologic manifestations of solid organ transplantation–associated graft-versus-host disease: A systematic review. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018;78(6):1097-1101.e1. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2017.12.050.
This Week's Must Reads
Psoriasis Linked with Increased All-Cause Mortality, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Dec 24; Dhana, et al
Examining Patient Resistance to Psoriasis Treatment, Exp Opin Pharmacother; ePub 2018 Dec 27; Heath, et al
Psoriasis Linked with Periodontal Inflammation, J Invest Dermatol; ePub 2019 Jan 2; Woeste, et al
Psoriasis Independently Linked with Depression Risk, Br J Dermatol; 2019 Jan; Egeberg, Thyssen, Wu, et al
Health Literacy May Benefit Patients with Psoriasis, Br J Dermatol; ePub 2018 Dec 31; Larsen, et al
Must Reads in Mixed Topics
Skin Disease Prevalent Among Hospitalized Patients, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Dec 13; Arnold, et al
Distinguishing Features of LPLK vs Lichen Planus, Int J Dermatol; ePub 2018 Dec 18; Vincek
Cutaneous Lymphomas Examined in Black Patients, J Drugs Dermatol; 2018 Dec; Geller, Pulitzer, et al
Association Between Vitiligo, Depression Found , J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Dec 5; Vallerand, et al
Association Between Psoriasis and Suicide Examined, Dermatolog Ther; ePub 2018 Oct 12; Liang, et al