Graft-versus-host-disease (GVHD) is a potentially fatal condition that can occur after solid organ transplantation (SOT) and often presents with a skin rash. Upon conducting a systematic literature review of SOT GVHD, investigators recommend that dermatologists have a low threshold to consider and pursue this diagnosis in the setting of post-SOT skin eruption.
The review included 61 articles, representing 115 patients and 126 transplanted organs. Key points include:
- The most commonly transplanted organ was the liver (n=81).
- Among total patients, 101 (87.8%) developed skin involvement.
- The eruption appeared an average of 48.3 days (range, 3-243 days) posttransplant and was pruritic in 5 of 101 (4.9%) cases.
- The eruption was described as morbilliform in 2 patients (1.9%), confluent in 6 (5.9%), and desquamative in 4 (3.9%) cases.
- The mortality rate was 72.2%.
- Relative time of death was reported in 23 patients who died during the follow-up period; they died an average of 99.2 days (range, 22-270 days) posttransplant, or 50.9 days after the appearance of dermatologic symptoms.
- Frequent causes of death were sepsis and multiorgan failure.
Kim GY, Schmelkin LA, Davis MDP, et al. Dermatologic manifestations of solid organ transplantation–associated graft-versus-host disease: A systematic review. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018;78(6):1097-1101.e1. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2017.12.050.
This Week's Must Reads
Should Medical Coding Be Taught During Residency?, J Drugs Dermatol; 2018 Jun; Blecher, Halverstam, et al
Primary Closure Lengths in MMS Based on Cancer Type, Dermatolog Surg; ePub 2018 Jun 8; Theroux, et al
Citizen Pscientist: Important New Research Tool, Dermatol Ther (Heidelb); ePub 2018 Jun 6; Sanchez, et al
Acne Successfully Treated with Laser Combination, Dermatolog Surg; ePub 2018 Jun 5; Bakus, et al
FDA Approves Rituxan for Pemphigus Vulgaris, Genentech Web site; 2018 Jun 7
Must Reads in Mixed Topics
Association Found Between HS and Crohn’s Disease, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 May 23; Garg, et al
Timing and Number of cSCCs in Transplant Recipients, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 May 16; Puza, et al
Skin Manifestations in Graft-Versus-Host-Disease, J Am Acad Dermatol; 2018 Jun; Kim, Schmelkin, et al
IBD Patients Have Low Rate of Dermatologic Care, Dig Dis Sci; ePub 2018 Apr 30; Anderson, Ferris, et al
HS Disproportionately Affects Blacks, Young Females, J Invest Dermatol; ePub 2018 Apr 13; Garg, et al