Psoriasis was associated with increased risk of Crohn’s disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC), according to a recent study. Furthermore, particular risk factors included gender and psoriatic arthritis (PsA). Researchers studied a 20-year nationwide cohort of 235,038 adults with psoriasis and a 1:1 matched reference group. They found:
- <1% of psoriasis patients developed CD or UC during follow-up.
- Incidence rates (IRs) of CD were highest for younger women with psoriasis and patients with concurrent PsA, whereas men with psoriasis had particularly high IRs of UC compared with their non-psoriasis peers.
- Adjusted hazard ratios (aHRs) of CD were 1.84 and 2.38 among psoriasis patients treated with topical, and systemic non-biologic therapy, respectively.
- No definite CD cases occurred during biologic therapy.
- For UC, aHRs were 1.49, 1.51, and 1.23 for psoriasis patients receiving topical, systemic non-biologic, and biologic therapy, respectively.
- Time to CD (but not UC) diagnosis was significantly longer for psoriasis patients compared with the general population, and patients receiving systemic treatment had the longest time to CD and UC.
Egeberg A, Thyssen JP, Burisch J, Colombel J-F. Incidence and risk of inflammatory bowel disease in patients with psoriasis—a nationwide 20-year cohort study. [Published online ahead of print August 18, 2018]. J Invest Dermatol. doi:10.1016/j.jid.2018.07.029.
This Week's Must Reads
Online vs In-Person Care for Adults with Psoriasis, JAMA Network Open; ePub 2018 Oct 5; Armstrong, et al
Eosinophils Among Histological Features of Psoriasis, Am J Dermatopathol; ePub 2018 Nov 5; Penn, et al
High Prevalence of Erythrasma in Inverse Psoriasis, J Invest Dermatol; 2018 Sep; Janeczek, Swan
Psoriasis Patient Association Beneficial to Members, Arch Dermatolog Res; ePub 2018 Oct 22; Langenbruch, et al
Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Psoriatic Skin, Exp Dermatol; ePub 2018 Nov 3; Therianou, et al
Must Reads in Mixed Topics
Association Between Psoriasis and Suicide Examined, Dermatolog Ther; ePub 2018 Oct 12; Liang, et al
Link Between AD and Autoimmune Disorders, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Oct 1; Narla, et al
Skin Disease Epidemiology in a Diverse Population, J Drugs Dermatol; 2018 Oct; Gaulding, et al
Pruritis Strongly Associated with Certain Cancers , J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Sep 11; Larson, et al
Sleep Impairment Common in Persons with AD, Dermatitis; ePub 2018 Aug 31; Li, Fishbein, et al