Patients with hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) have higher odds of substance abuse disorder (SUD) and may benefit from periodic screening for substance abuse, according to a recent study. Researchers conducted a cross-sectional analysis of adult HS patients (n=32,625) identified using electronic health records data from a population-based sample of >50 million patients.
- The prevalence of SUD among patients with HS was 4.0% (1,315/32,625), compared to 2.0% (195,260/9,581,640) for patients without HS.
- The most common forms of substance misuse among HS patients were alcohol (630/1,315; 47.9% of SUD cases), followed by opioids (430/1,315, 32.7% of SUD cases) and cannabis (430/1,315, 29.7% of SUD cases).
- HS patients had 1.50 times the adjusted odds of SUD compared to patients without HS.
- HS patients had significantly greater odds of SUD across demographic subgroups.
- The association between HS and SUD was generally stronger for patients aged 45-64 years, non-whites, privately-insured, and those without depressive or anxiety disorder.
Garg A, Papagermanos V, Midura M, Strunk A, Merson J. Opioid, alcohol, and cannabis misuse among patients with hidradenitis suppurativa: A population-based analysis in the United States. [Published online ahead of print February 27, 2018]. J Am Acad Dermatol. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2018.02.053.
This Week's Must Reads
Dermatomyositis, Negative ANA, and Malignancy Risk, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Nov 17; Hoesly, et al
Head/Neck Melanomas Have High Local Recurrence Risk, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Nov 17; Fix, et al
DOT Laser Offers Low Incidence of Adverse Effects, J Drugs Dermatol; 2018 Nov; Sarnoff, Gotkin, et al
Frontal Fibrosing Alopecia and Severity Factors , Dermatology (Karger); ePub 2018 Nov 22; Mervis, et al
Unsafe Neighborhoods Linked with Higher AD Risk, Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol; ePub 2018 Oct 26; McKenzie, et al
Must Reads in Mixed Topics
Association Between Psoriasis and Suicide Examined, Dermatolog Ther; ePub 2018 Oct 12; Liang, et al
Link Between AD and Autoimmune Disorders, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Oct 1; Narla, et al
Skin Disease Epidemiology in a Diverse Population, J Drugs Dermatol; 2018 Oct; Gaulding, et al
Pruritis Strongly Associated with Certain Cancers , J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Sep 11; Larson, et al
Sleep Impairment Common in Persons with AD, Dermatitis; ePub 2018 Aug 31; Li, Fishbein, et al