Patients with hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) have higher odds of substance abuse disorder (SUD) and may benefit from periodic screening for substance abuse, according to a recent study. Researchers conducted a cross-sectional analysis of adult HS patients (n=32,625) identified using electronic health records data from a population-based sample of >50 million patients.
- The prevalence of SUD among patients with HS was 4.0% (1,315/32,625), compared to 2.0% (195,260/9,581,640) for patients without HS.
- The most common forms of substance misuse among HS patients were alcohol (630/1,315; 47.9% of SUD cases), followed by opioids (430/1,315, 32.7% of SUD cases) and cannabis (430/1,315, 29.7% of SUD cases).
- HS patients had 1.50 times the adjusted odds of SUD compared to patients without HS.
- HS patients had significantly greater odds of SUD across demographic subgroups.
- The association between HS and SUD was generally stronger for patients aged 45-64 years, non-whites, privately-insured, and those without depressive or anxiety disorder.
Garg A, Papagermanos V, Midura M, Strunk A, Merson J. Opioid, alcohol, and cannabis misuse among patients with hidradenitis suppurativa: A population-based analysis in the United States. [Published online ahead of print February 27, 2018]. J Am Acad Dermatol. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2018.02.053.
This Week's Must Reads
Should Medical Coding Be Taught During Residency?, J Drugs Dermatol; 2018 Jun; Blecher, Halverstam, et al
Primary Closure Lengths in MMS Based on Cancer Type, Dermatolog Surg; ePub 2018 Jun 8; Theroux, et al
Citizen Pscientist: Important New Research Tool, Dermatol Ther (Heidelb); ePub 2018 Jun 6; Sanchez, et al
Acne Successfully Treated with Laser Combination, Dermatolog Surg; ePub 2018 Jun 5; Bakus, et al
FDA Approves Rituxan for Pemphigus Vulgaris, Genentech Web site; 2018 Jun 7
Must Reads in Mixed Topics
Association Found Between HS and Crohn’s Disease, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 May 23; Garg, et al
Timing and Number of cSCCs in Transplant Recipients, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 May 16; Puza, et al
Skin Manifestations in Graft-Versus-Host-Disease, J Am Acad Dermatol; 2018 Jun; Kim, Schmelkin, et al
IBD Patients Have Low Rate of Dermatologic Care, Dig Dis Sci; ePub 2018 Apr 30; Anderson, Ferris, et al
HS Disproportionately Affects Blacks, Young Females, J Invest Dermatol; ePub 2018 Apr 13; Garg, et al