There are disparities in the availability of injectable biologic-prescribing dermatologists across urban-rural geographic settings in the US, according to a recent study. Researchers used Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Medicare Provider Utilization and Payment Data: Part D for 2013-2015. Density of dermatologists who prescribe IB in each US county, represented as number of dermatologists per 100,000 Medicare Part D beneficiaries, was calculated. They found:
- 2,992 dermatologists (26.3% of dermatologists) prescribed IB.
- The national density of IB-prescribing dermatologists was 7.22.
- Only 778 counties (24.8%) have at least 1 IB-prescribing dermatologist.
- The densities of IB-prescribing dermatologists in metropolitan counties were 8.07-8.12.
- The densities of IB-prescribing dermatologists were 4.55 and 6.51 for urban populations of >20,000 people adjacent and non-adjacent to metropolitan areas, respectively.
- Urban counties with populations between 2,500-19,999 and adjacent to a metropolitan area had a density of 2.03 and urban counties with the same population and not adjacent to a metropolitan area had a density of 2.84.
- Completely rural or urban counties with populations <2,500 people had densities between 2.31-2.35.
Feng H, Cohen JM, Neimann AL. Access to injectable biologic medications by Medicare beneficiaries: Geographic distribution of U.S. dermatologist prescribers. [Published online ahead of print August 4, 2018]. J Dermatolog Treat. doi:10.1080/09546634.2018.1508819.
This Week's Must Reads
Online vs In-Person Care for Adults with Psoriasis, JAMA Network Open; ePub 2018 Oct 5; Armstrong, et al
Eosinophils Among Histological Features of Psoriasis, Am J Dermatopathol; ePub 2018 Nov 5; Penn, et al
High Prevalence of Erythrasma in Inverse Psoriasis, J Invest Dermatol; 2018 Sep; Janeczek, Swan
Psoriasis Patient Association Beneficial to Members, Arch Dermatolog Res; ePub 2018 Oct 22; Langenbruch, et al
Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Psoriatic Skin, Exp Dermatol; ePub 2018 Nov 3; Therianou, et al
Must Reads in Mixed Topics
Association Between Psoriasis and Suicide Examined, Dermatolog Ther; ePub 2018 Oct 12; Liang, et al
Link Between AD and Autoimmune Disorders, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Oct 1; Narla, et al
Skin Disease Epidemiology in a Diverse Population, J Drugs Dermatol; 2018 Oct; Gaulding, et al
Pruritis Strongly Associated with Certain Cancers , J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Sep 11; Larson, et al
Sleep Impairment Common in Persons with AD, Dermatitis; ePub 2018 Aug 31; Li, Fishbein, et al