The implications of tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes (TILs) in predicting sentinel lymph node (SLN) positivity appear to be more relevant for men than women, a recent study found. Patients with clinically localized primary melanoma ≥0.76mm in Breslow thickness who underwent SLN biopsy were identified. Association between TILs (absent, nonbrisk, and brisk) and SLN positivity was evaluated using logistic regression. Overall survival (OS) was evaluated by TILs status and sex. Among 1,367 patients identified, 794 were men. Researchers found:
- TILs were brisk in 143 lesions, nonbrisk in 903, and absent in 321, which did not vary by sex.
- SLN positivity was associated with TILs among men (brisk 3.8%, nonbrisk 16.9%, absent 26.6%).
- In contrast, there was no association between SLN positivity and TILs among women.
- Interaction between brisk TILs and sex on SLN positivity was significant.
- Among men, presence of brisk TILs was associated with prolonged OS but not after adjustment for SLN status.
- There was no association between TILs status and OS among women.
Sinnamon AJ, Sharon CE, Song Y, et al. The prognostic significance of tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes for primary melanoma varies by sex. [Published online ahead of print March 5, 2018]. J Am Acad Dermatol. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2018.02.066.
This Week's Must Reads
Should Medical Coding Be Taught During Residency?, J Drugs Dermatol; 2018 Jun; Blecher, Halverstam, et al
Primary Closure Lengths in MMS Based on Cancer Type, Dermatolog Surg; ePub 2018 Jun 8; Theroux, et al
Citizen Pscientist: Important New Research Tool, Dermatol Ther (Heidelb); ePub 2018 Jun 6; Sanchez, et al
Acne Successfully Treated with Laser Combination, Dermatolog Surg; ePub 2018 Jun 5; Bakus, et al
FDA Approves Rituxan for Pemphigus Vulgaris, Genentech Web site; 2018 Jun 7
Must Reads in Melanoma
Gaps in Melanoma Reporting Practices Discovered , Dermatolog Surg; ePub 2018 May 25; Svoboda, et al
Increased Risk of Skin Cancer Found in the Military, J Am Acad Dermatol; 2018 Jun; Riemenschneider, et al
Interest and Uptake of MC1R Test for Melanoma Risk, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 May 9; Hay, et al
Identifying Shiny White Streaks in Melanoma, J Am Acad Dermatol; 2018 May; Verzi, et al
Digital Dermoscopic Image Analyzer Evaluated, J Am Acad Dermatol; 2018 May; del Rosario, et al