Recent findings suggest that the cardiothoracic (heart and/or lung) transplant (CTT) population experiences an incidence of malignant melanoma (MM) similar to that of other solid organ transplant recipients and with a median of 2.5 years from transplant to melanoma diagnosis. This according to a retrospective cohort study of patients who underwent a CTT from 2001 through 2016 with a median follow-up time of 4.3 years. Researchers found:
- 5 of 1,154 patients who underwent a CTT (0.4%) developed biopsy-proven MM at a median follow-up time of 4.3 years after transplantation at a median age of 64.5 years.
- Of total patients, 923 (80%) were men.
- Their mean (SD) age was 63.8 years (range, 27.2-68.2 years).
- 4 patients (80%) presented with stage I disease while 1 (20%) presented with stage IV disease at a median time of 2.5 years after transplant compared with a median time of 6.2 years in a renal transplant population at a median follow-up time of 6.6 years.
- 2 patients died after transplant, 1 owing to complications of the transplant and 1 owing to metastatic MM.
Puza CJ, Cardones AR, Mosca PJ. Examining the incidence and presentation of melanoma in the cardiothoracic transplant population. [Published online ahead of print February 16, 2018]. JAMA Dermatology. doi:10.1001/jamadermatol.2018.0130.
This Week's Must Reads
Should Medical Coding Be Taught During Residency?, J Drugs Dermatol; 2018 Jun; Blecher, Halverstam, et al
Primary Closure Lengths in MMS Based on Cancer Type, Dermatolog Surg; ePub 2018 Jun 8; Theroux, et al
Citizen Pscientist: Important New Research Tool, Dermatol Ther (Heidelb); ePub 2018 Jun 6; Sanchez, et al
Acne Successfully Treated with Laser Combination, Dermatolog Surg; ePub 2018 Jun 5; Bakus, et al
FDA Approves Rituxan for Pemphigus Vulgaris, Genentech Web site; 2018 Jun 7
Must Reads in Melanoma
Gaps in Melanoma Reporting Practices Discovered , Dermatolog Surg; ePub 2018 May 25; Svoboda, et al
Increased Risk of Skin Cancer Found in the Military, J Am Acad Dermatol; 2018 Jun; Riemenschneider, et al
Interest and Uptake of MC1R Test for Melanoma Risk, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 May 9; Hay, et al
Identifying Shiny White Streaks in Melanoma, J Am Acad Dermatol; 2018 May; Verzi, et al
Digital Dermoscopic Image Analyzer Evaluated, J Am Acad Dermatol; 2018 May; del Rosario, et al