Health-related quality of life (HRQOL) in cutaneous T-cell lymphoma (CTCL) appears related to a number of factors, including presence of a psychiatric condition, use of systemic (particularly high grade) therapy, number of medical comorbidities, and income. This according to a recent study that aimed to establish baseline HRQOL data for patients with CTCL and identify its influencing factors. A prospective, nonblinded survey was conducted, utilizing questionnaires including panels of QOL indices obtained from 105 patients with mycosis fungoides, Sezary syndrome, and CD30+ lymphoproliferative disorder. Chart review correlated QOL with year of disease onset/diagnosis, type/stage of disease, current/past therapies, and medical/psychiatric diagnoses. Researchers found:
- Psychiatric condition was significantly associated with symptoms, emotions, and functioning subscales along with overall composite measure.
- High‐grade systemic therapy (OR=5.28) showed greater increase in odds of a lower health state than low grade (OR=1.54).
- The number of medical comorbidities was significantly related to itching.
- Increased age was a protective factor with respect to the emotions, functioning, and overall composite, but not predictive of symptoms.
- Lower income was associated with higher bother on the symptoms subscale.
Holahan HM, Farah RS, Fitz S, et al. Health‐related quality of life in patients with cutaneous T‐cell lymphoma? [Published online ahead of print August 3, 2018]. Int J Dermatol. doi:10.1111/ijd.14132.
This Week's Must Reads
Online vs In-Person Care for Adults with Psoriasis, JAMA Network Open; ePub 2018 Oct 5; Armstrong, et al
Eosinophils Among Histological Features of Psoriasis, Am J Dermatopathol; ePub 2018 Nov 5; Penn, et al
High Prevalence of Erythrasma in Inverse Psoriasis, J Invest Dermatol; 2018 Sep; Janeczek, Swan
Psoriasis Patient Association Beneficial to Members, Arch Dermatolog Res; ePub 2018 Oct 22; Langenbruch, et al
Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Psoriatic Skin, Exp Dermatol; ePub 2018 Nov 3; Therianou, et al
Must Reads in Autoimmune Diseases
Incidence of Oral SCC Risk in Oral Lichen Planus, Int J Dermatol; ePub 2018 Sep 14; Lanoisz, et al
HRQOL in Patients with Cutaneous T-Cell Lymphoma, Int J Dermatol; ePub 2018 Aug 3; Holahan, Farah, et al
Pyoderma Gangrenosum and Underlying Diseases, Am J Clin Dermatol; 2018 Aug; Kridin, Cohen, et al
Autoimmune Disease Risk in Patients with CLE, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 May 2; Kunzler, et al
Underlying Disease Impact on Pyoderma Gangrenosum, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Feb 10; Kaffenberger, et al