Adults with atopic dermatitis (AD) had increased cutaneous, respiratory, multi-organ, and systemic infections, which were associated with a considerable cost burden, according to a recent study. Data from the 2002 to 2012 National Inpatient Sample were analyzed, including an approximately 20% sample of all US hospitalizations (n=72,108,077 adults). Prevalence of serious infections in hospitalized patients with vs without AD, length of stay, cost of care, and inpatient mortality secondary to serious infections were determined. Researchers found:
- The prevalence of serious infections expressed as a percentage was higher in adults hospitalized with than in those without AD (42.1% vs 25.4%).
- AD was associated with 32 of 38 infections examined.
- Associated cutaneous infections included eczema herpeticum adjusted for other predictors: erysipelas and cellulitis.
- Associated respiratory infections included aspergillosis and tuberculosis.
- AD was associated with extracutaneous, multi-organ, and systemic infections, including infectious arthropathy, endocarditis, encephalitis, and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections.
Narla S, Silverberg JI. Association between atopic dermatitis and serious cutaneous, multiorgan and systemic infections in US adults. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2018;120(1):66-72.e11. doi:10.1016/j.anai.2017.10.019.
This Week's Must Reads
ALT-70 Gets High Marks for Diagnosing Cellulitis, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Jul 9; Li, et al
MMS/MART-1 Immunostaining for Atypical Melanocytes, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Jul 9; Etzkorn, et al
Economic Analysis of Noninvasive Pathologic Assay, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Jul 11; Hornberger, et al
Use of Advanced Practice Professionals on the Rise, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Jul 11; Zhang, et al
Folate and Risk of Cutaneous Melanoma in Women, Cancer Epidemiol; 2018 Aug; Dhana, Ten, Li, et al
Must Reads in Atopic Dermatitis
Family Structure Linked with AD in US Children, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 May 31; McKenzie, et al
Financial Burden of ED Visits for Atopic Dermatitis , J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 May 22; Kwa, et al
Trends in Atopic Dermatitis Management, J Drugs Dermatol; 2018 Feb; He, Feldman, et al
Use of Antihistamines for AD Treatment Evaluated, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Jan 6; He, et al
Atopic Dermatitis Linked with Serious Infections, Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol; 2018 Jan; Narla, et al