Adults with atopic dermatitis (AD) had increased cutaneous, respiratory, multi-organ, and systemic infections, which were associated with a considerable cost burden, according to a recent study. Data from the 2002 to 2012 National Inpatient Sample were analyzed, including an approximately 20% sample of all US hospitalizations (n=72,108,077 adults). Prevalence of serious infections in hospitalized patients with vs without AD, length of stay, cost of care, and inpatient mortality secondary to serious infections were determined. Researchers found:
- The prevalence of serious infections expressed as a percentage was higher in adults hospitalized with than in those without AD (42.1% vs 25.4%).
- AD was associated with 32 of 38 infections examined.
- Associated cutaneous infections included eczema herpeticum adjusted for other predictors: erysipelas and cellulitis.
- Associated respiratory infections included aspergillosis and tuberculosis.
- AD was associated with extracutaneous, multi-organ, and systemic infections, including infectious arthropathy, endocarditis, encephalitis, and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections.
Narla S, Silverberg JI. Association between atopic dermatitis and serious cutaneous, multiorgan and systemic infections in US adults. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2018;120(1):66-72.e11. doi:10.1016/j.anai.2017.10.019.
This Week's Must Reads
Opioids and the Dermatology Medicare Population, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Feb 7; Cao, et al
Significant Care Costs Associated with Cellulitis, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Feb 7; St. John, et al
An Analysis of Adherence to Melanoma Treatment , J Clin Aesthet Dermatol; 2017 Dec; Reserva, et al
Underlying Disease Impact on Pyoderma Gangrenosum, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Feb 10; Kaffenberger, et al
FDA Approves Label Update for Cosentyx, Novartis news release; 2018 Feb 8
Must Reads in Atopic Dermatitis
Use of Antihistamines for AD Treatment Evaluated, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Jan 6; He, et al
Atopic Dermatitis Linked with Serious Infections, Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol; 2018 Jan; Narla, et al
Association Between AD and SCC Discovered, Int J Dermatol; ePub 2017 Dec 15; Cho, Davis, et al
Severity of Scratching Useful Assessment in Trials, J Invest Dermatol; ePub 2017 Dec 11; Udkoff, et al
Prenatal Exposure to PCBs, Eczema Link Confirmed, J Asthma; ePub 2017 Dec 6; Parker-Lalomio, et al