Adults with atopic dermatitis (AD) had increased cutaneous, respiratory, multi-organ, and systemic infections, which were associated with a considerable cost burden, according to a recent study. Data from the 2002 to 2012 National Inpatient Sample were analyzed, including an approximately 20% sample of all US hospitalizations (n=72,108,077 adults). Prevalence of serious infections in hospitalized patients with vs without AD, length of stay, cost of care, and inpatient mortality secondary to serious infections were determined. Researchers found:
- The prevalence of serious infections expressed as a percentage was higher in adults hospitalized with than in those without AD (42.1% vs 25.4%).
- AD was associated with 32 of 38 infections examined.
- Associated cutaneous infections included eczema herpeticum adjusted for other predictors: erysipelas and cellulitis.
- Associated respiratory infections included aspergillosis and tuberculosis.
- AD was associated with extracutaneous, multi-organ, and systemic infections, including infectious arthropathy, endocarditis, encephalitis, and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections.
Narla S, Silverberg JI. Association between atopic dermatitis and serious cutaneous, multiorgan and systemic infections in US adults. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2018;120(1):66-72.e11. doi:10.1016/j.anai.2017.10.019.
This Week's Must Reads
Nevus Development Trajectory from Age 3 to 16 Years, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Sep 12; Asdigian, et al
Pruritis Strongly Associated with Certain Cancers , J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Sep 11; Larson, et al
Trends in Medicare Billing Among Mohs Surgeons, Dermatolog Surg; ePub 2018 Sep 7; Tsai, et al
Mohs Surgery Effective for Invasive Melanomas, Dermatolog Surg; ePub 2018 Sep 7; Degesys, et al
Young Adults with Psoriasis Have Impaired QOL, J Dermatolog Treat; ePub 2018 Sep 7; Bronckers, et al
Must Reads in Atopic Dermatitis
Pain and Itch: A Dual Burden in Atopic Dermatitis, Dermatitis; ePub 2018 Aug 31; Maarouf, et al
Sleep Impairment Common in Persons with AD, Dermatitis; ePub 2018 Aug 31; Li, Fishbein, et al
Atopic Dermatitis Puts Heavy Burden on Patients, Ann Asthma Allergy Immunol; ePub 2018 Jul 16; Silverberg, et al
AD Patients’ Reactions to Personal Care Products, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Jul 24; Rastogi, et al
Family Structure Linked with AD in US Children, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 May 31; McKenzie, et al