Best-selling moisturizers vary widely by price and product characteristics, according to a recent cohort study that analyzed the top 100 best-selling whole-body moisturizing products at 3 major online retailers (Amazon, Target, and Walmart). A total of 174 unique best-selling moisturizer products were identified, constituting 109,713 reviews as of August 2016. Products marketed for use on a specific body part (eg, face, hands, eyelids) were excluded. Investigators found:
- The median price per ounce was $0.59, with a wide range (9400%).
- The most popular vehicles were lotions (102 [59%]), followed by creams (22 [13%]), oils (21 [12%]), butters (14 [8%]), and ointments (3 [2%]).
- Only 12% (n=21) of best-selling moisturizer products were free of North American Contact Dermatitis Group (NACDG) allergens.
- The 3 most common allergens were fragrance mix (n=87), paraben mix (n=75), and tocopherol (n=74).
- Products with the claim “dermatologist recommended” had higher median price per ounce ($0.79) than products without the claim ($0.59).
- Lotions were statistically less expensive per ounce than butters, creams, and oils.
- For products with a claim of “fragrance free,” 18 (45%) had at least 1 fragrance cross-reactor or botanical ingredient.
Xu S, Kwa M, Lohman ME, Evers-Meltzer R, Silverberg JI. Consumer preferences, product characteristics, and potentially allergenic ingredients in best-selling moisturizers. [Published online ahead of print September 6, 2017]. JAMA Dermatol. doi:10.1001/jamadermatol.2017.3046.
This Week's Must Reads
Psoriasis Linked with Increased All-Cause Mortality, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Dec 24; Dhana, et al
Examining Patient Resistance to Psoriasis Treatment, Exp Opin Pharmacother; ePub 2018 Dec 27; Heath, et al
Psoriasis Linked with Periodontal Inflammation, J Invest Dermatol; ePub 2019 Jan 2; Woeste, et al
Psoriasis Independently Linked with Depression Risk, Br J Dermatol; 2019 Jan; Egeberg, Thyssen, Wu, et al
Health Literacy May Benefit Patients with Psoriasis, Br J Dermatol; ePub 2018 Dec 31; Larsen, et al
Must Reads in Aesthetic Dermatology
Heat Modalities Compared in Telangiectasia Treatment, J Cosmet Dermatol; ePub 2018 Sep 17; Bush, Bush
Chemical Peels Show Excellent Clinical Efficacy, J Clin Aesthet Dermatol; 2018 Aug 1; Soleymani, et al
Patient Motivations for Seeking Cosmetic Procedures, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Aug 15; Maisel, et al
Microneedling Treatment Improves Skin Aging, J Clin Aesthet Dermatol; 2018 Aug 1; Ablon
Rejuvenation Procedure Proves Safe and Effective , Lasers Surg Med; ePub 2018 Aug 8; Knight, Kautz