Best-selling moisturizers vary widely by price and product characteristics, according to a recent cohort study that analyzed the top 100 best-selling whole-body moisturizing products at 3 major online retailers (Amazon, Target, and Walmart). A total of 174 unique best-selling moisturizer products were identified, constituting 109,713 reviews as of August 2016. Products marketed for use on a specific body part (eg, face, hands, eyelids) were excluded. Investigators found:
- The median price per ounce was $0.59, with a wide range (9400%).
- The most popular vehicles were lotions (102 [59%]), followed by creams (22 [13%]), oils (21 [12%]), butters (14 [8%]), and ointments (3 [2%]).
- Only 12% (n=21) of best-selling moisturizer products were free of North American Contact Dermatitis Group (NACDG) allergens.
- The 3 most common allergens were fragrance mix (n=87), paraben mix (n=75), and tocopherol (n=74).
- Products with the claim “dermatologist recommended” had higher median price per ounce ($0.79) than products without the claim ($0.59).
- Lotions were statistically less expensive per ounce than butters, creams, and oils.
- For products with a claim of “fragrance free,” 18 (45%) had at least 1 fragrance cross-reactor or botanical ingredient.
Xu S, Kwa M, Lohman ME, Evers-Meltzer R, Silverberg JI. Consumer preferences, product characteristics, and potentially allergenic ingredients in best-selling moisturizers. [Published online ahead of print September 6, 2017]. JAMA Dermatol. doi:10.1001/jamadermatol.2017.3046.
This Week's Must Reads
Opioids and the Dermatology Medicare Population, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Feb 7; Cao, et al
Significant Care Costs Associated with Cellulitis, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Feb 7; St. John, et al
An Analysis of Adherence to Melanoma Treatment , J Clin Aesthet Dermatol; 2017 Dec; Reserva, et al
Underlying Disease Impact on Pyoderma Gangrenosum, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Feb 10; Kaffenberger, et al
FDA Approves Label Update for Cosentyx, Novartis news release; 2018 Feb 8
Must Reads in Aesthetic Dermatology
Absorbable Suture Suspension Proves Effective, Aesthet Surg J; ePub 2017 Dec 8; Ogilvie, et al
Age and Hydration Play Roles in Skin Firmness, J Cosmet Dermatol; ePub 2017 Dec 27; Mayrovitz, et al
FDA Clears CoolSculpting for Double Chin Treatment, Allergan plc news release; 2017 Dec 12
FDA Approves Botox Cosmetic for Lines, Wrinkles, Allergan news release; 2017 Oct 3
Chemical Peels: Special Considerations for Men, Dermatol Surg; ePub 2017 Sep 4; Reserva, et al