Soluble lectin-like oxidized low-density lipoprotein receptor-1 (sLOX-1) levels are elevated in patients with ischemic stroke and transient ischemic attack (TIA) independent of cause and time since the ischemic event, a recent study found. Plasma sLOX-1 (n=232) and carotid plaque OLR1 gene expression (n=146) were evaluated in patients referred for carotid endarterectomy, as well as in health control plasma (n=81). Patients were categorized according to presence of acute ischemic stroke or TIA (n=35), ≤7 days, >7 days ≤3 months (n=90), >3 months (n=40), or no reported symptoms (n=67). Researchers found:
- Patients with carotid atherosclerosis had increased plasma sLOX-1 levels compared with controls.
- Plaque OLR1 mRNA levels were increased in carotid plaques compared with nonatherosclerosis vessels.
- Patients with an acute ischemic stroke caused by atrial fibrillation had raised sLOX‐1 levels comparable to those with an acute ischemic cerebral event related to carotid atherosclerosis.
- There were no differences in sLOX plasma levels or OLR1 gene expression when analyzed according to the time since relevant cerebral ischemic symptoms.
- Patients with severe carotid atherosclerosis without any previous ischemic events had raised sLOX-1 levels.
Skarpengland T, Skjelland M, Kong XY, et al. Increased levels of lectin-like oxidized low-density lipoprotein receptor-1 in ischemic stroke and transient ischemic attack. [Published online ahead of print January 12, 2018]. J Am Heart Assoc. doi:10.1161/JAHA.117.006479.
This Week's Must Reads
Hypertension in Blacks Higher Through Middle Age, J Am Heart Assoc; ePub 2018 Jul 11; Thomas, et al
Exercise Training Workloads in Patients with HF, Am Heart J; ePub 2018 Jul 10; Keteyian, et al
Barriers to Healthcare Access After an ACS, Am J Cardiol; ePub 2018 Jul 15; Erskine, et al
Racial Differences in Survivors of Cardiac Arrest, Circulation; ePub 2018 Jul 9; Chen, et al
Sex Differences & Tx Goals in Systemic Hypertension, Am J Cardiol; ePub 2018 Jun 22; Ochoa-Jimenez, et al
Must Reads in Hypercholesterolemia
Racial Differences in Statin Use, JAMA Cardiol; ePub 2018 Jun 13; Nanna, et al
LLT Use in Patients with Elevated LDL-C, Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes; ePub 2018 May 10; Virani, et al
Evolocumab in Differing Patient Populations , J Pharmacokinet Pharmacodyn; ePub 2018 May 7; Kuchimanchi, et al
LDL-C Targets in Elderly Statin Users After ACS, J Am Heart Assoc; ePub 2018 May 12; Alter, et al
Patient Perspectives on Statin Therapy, Clin Cardiol; ePub 2018 May 10; Brinton