The American Heart Association (AHA) has issued recommendations and best evidence-based guidance for healthcare providers who diagnose and manage Kawasaki disease (KD), a leading cause of acquired heart disease in children in developed countries. The goal of the scientific statement is to provide updated recommendations for diagnosis, treatment of the acute illness, and long-term management. It incorporates the following:
- New evidence regarding underlying pathological processes.
- An algorithm to ensure capture of incomplete KD during the effective window of therapy.
- Improved management of the acute illness that includes the use of additional therapies for IVIG-refractory patients.
- Greater use of Z scores for classifying coronary artery involvement.
- Greater specification of long-term management based on both initial and current coronary artery involvement.
- Acknowledgement of the care needs of a growing population of adults with a previous history of KD and coronary artery aneurysms.
McCrindle BW, Rowley AH, Newburger JW, et al. Diagnosis, treatment, and long-term management of Kawasaki disease. A scientific statement from healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association. [Published online ahead of print March 29, 2017]. Circulation. doi:10.1161/CIR.0000000000000484.
This Week's Must Reads
Total & CV Mortality After LDL-C Lowering, JAMA; 2018 Apr 17; Navarese, et al
PCSK9 Inhibitors for Tx of Hypercholesterolemia, Ann Pharmacother; ePub 2018 Apr 1; Patel, et al
High-Intensity Statin Use and LDL-C Control, J Clin Lipidol; ePub 2018 Apr 26; Lamprecht Jr, et al
Improving Adherence with ASCVD Interventions, Clin Cardiol; ePub 2018 Apr 17; Fentanes, et al
Lipid Screening in Children with NAFLD, J Pediatr; ePub 2018 Apr 13; Harlow, et al
Must Reads in Clinical Guidelines
AHA: Management of Right-Sided Heart Failure, Circulation; ePub 2018 Apr 12; Konstam, et al
AHA Statement on Promotion of Physical Activity, Circulation; ePub 2018 Apr 4; Lobelo, et al
AHA Statement on CVD & Breast Cancer, Circulation; ePub 2018 Feb 1; Mehta, et al
New Stroke Guideline Touts Crucial Treatments, Stroke; ePub 2018 Jan 24; Powers, et al
Childhood Adversity & Cardiometabolic Outcomes, Circulation; ePub 2017 Dec 18; Suglia, et al