Among patients with prior myocardial infarction (MI) in the US, elevated high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs-CRP) is prevalent several years after the MI, a recent study found. The study included. Researchers sought to determine the pattern and determinants of the distribution of hs-CRP in adults with hs-CRP from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys from 1999-2010. They found:
- 1,296 individuals were included (median age 65 years, median hs-CRP 2.69 mg/L, measured an average of 7.1 years after the MI).
- Among these patients, 22% had hs-CRP levels of <1 mg/L, 61% had ≥2 mg/L, and 48% had ≥3 mg/L.
- Increasing hs-CRP was associated with increasing body mass index (BMI), increasing non-high-density lipoprotein (HDL), increasing age, and decreasing HDL.
- Adjusted mean hs-CRP was also higher in women, in those with hypertension, and among smokers, and lower in people with hyperlipidemia.
- Standard CV risk factors accounted for only 22% of the variability in hs-CRP levels.
Pagidipati NJ, Hellkamp AS, Sharma PP, Wang TY, Fonarow GC, Pencina M. High-sensitivity C-reactive protein elevation in patients with prior myocardial infarction in the United States. [Published online ahead of print July 26, 2018]. Am Heart J. doi:10.1016/j.ahj.2018.07.014.
This Week's Must Reads
Evolocumab Lowers LDL-C in Patient Subgroups, Clin Cardiol; 2018 Oct 21; Stroes, Robinson, et al
Is Further Lowering of LDL-C in Patients Safe?, JAMA Cardiol; 2018 Sep; Sabatine, Wiviott, et al
Effects of Primary Prevention on CVD Event Risk, J Manag Care Spec Pharm; 2018 Nov; Han, et al
FH Patients with Diabetes at Elevated Risk for CVD, J Clin Lipidol; ePub 2018 Sep 17; Paquette, et al
Long-Term Benefit to Statin Eligibility, JAMA Cardiol; ePub 2018 Oct 24; Thanassoulis, et al
Must Reads in CAD & Atherosclerosis
CAD Severity as a Function of Patient Sex, Am Heart J; ePub 2018 Oct 2; Pagidipati, et al
Does Aspirin Prevent CV Events in Older Adults?, N Engl J Med; ePub 2018 Sep 16; McNeil, et al
FFR and Quality of Life After PCI, Circulation; ePub 2018 Sep 18; Nishi, et al
Does Dietary Diversity Promote a Healthy Weight?, Circulation; ePub 2018 Aug 9; de Oliveira, et al
Omega-3 Fatty Acids for Prevention of CVD, Cochrane Library; ePub 2018 Jul 18; Abdelhamid, et al