The presence of structural heart disease (SHD) during catheter ablation (CA) for ventricular arrhythmias (VA) increased the complication rate of major and any complications by approximately 3-fold for both and the hospital mortality by ≥20-fold compared to patients without SHD. This according to a recent study that compared trends, morbidity, and mortality associated with real-world practice of CA for VA based on the presence of SHD. Researchers collected and compared characteristics and outcomes of patients with and without SHD that underwent CA of VA. They found:
- Among 34,907 patients that underwent CA for VA (1999-2013), 18,014 (51.6%) had SHD.
- Major and all complications occurred among 1,135/18,014 (6.3%) and 2,139/18,014 (11.9%) patients with SHD, respectively, compared to 355/16,893 (2.1%) and 739/16,892 (4.4%) for patients without SHD.
- More patients with SHD died vs those without SHD.
- Heart failure was associated with an odds ratio of 3.09 for major complications for patients with SHD, while coronary artery disease OR for major complications was 2.47.
- The 15-year study period was a significant increase in major complications in patients with SHD.
Ogunbayo GO, Charnigo R, Darrat Y, et al. Comparison of complications of catheter ablation for ventricular arrhythmias in adults with and without structural heart disease. [Published online ahead of print July 18, 2018]. Am J Cardiol. doi:10.1016/j.amjcard.2018.07.001.
This Week's Must Reads
Evolocumab Lowers LDL-C in Patient Subgroups, Clin Cardiol; 2018 Oct 21; Stroes, Robinson, et al
Is Further Lowering of LDL-C in Patients Safe?, JAMA Cardiol; 2018 Sep; Sabatine, Wiviott, et al
Effects of Primary Prevention on CVD Event Risk, J Manag Care Spec Pharm; 2018 Nov; Han, et al
FH Patients with Diabetes at Elevated Risk for CVD, J Clin Lipidol; ePub 2018 Sep 17; Paquette, et al
Long-Term Benefit to Statin Eligibility, JAMA Cardiol; ePub 2018 Oct 24; Thanassoulis, et al
Must Reads in Arrhythmias & EP
Cancer Treatment-Induced Arrhythmia with TCAs, J Am Heart Assoc; ePub 2018 Oct 13; Nickel, et al
Effect of AF on Outcomes in Women Undergoing TAVI, Am J Cardiol; ePub 2018 Sep 7; Guedeney, et al
Psychosocial Stressors & AF in Older Women, Am J Cardiol; ePub 2018 Aug 17; Westcott, et al
Dementia Progression in Men and Women with AF, Am J Cardiol; ePub 2018 Aug 3; Golive, et al
SSRIs & Bleeding Risk in AF Patients Taking Anticoagulants, J Am Heart Assoc; ePub 2018 Jul 27; Quinn, et al