In patients with adult-onset dermatomyositis (DM), negative antinuclear antibody (ANA) is associated with increased likelihood of developing malignancy within 3 years of DM diagnosis, according to a recent retrospective cohort study of patients. Therefore, particularly close follow-up and frequent malignancy screening may be warranted in ANA-negative individuals with DM. Researchers compared the incidence of amyopathic disease, risk of malignancy, and clinical findings in ANA-positive and ANA-negative patients with adult-onset DM. They found:
- Of 231 patients, 140 (61%) were ANA-positive and 91 (39%) were ANA-negative.
- Compared to ANA-negative patients, ANA-positive patients had a lower frequency of dysphagia (15% vs 26%) and heliotrope rash (38% vs 53%).
- 54 patients (23%) developed malignancy within 3 years of DM diagnosis.
- 11% of ANA-positive patients developed malignancy vs 43% of ANA-negative patients.
- There was a strong association between ANA positivity and lower likelihood of malignancy in multivariable analysis (OR: 0.16).
- Conversely, ANA positivity was not associated with amyopathic disease (OR: 0.94).
Hoesly PM, Sluzevich JC, Jambusaria-Pahlajani A, Lesser ER, Heckman MG, Abril A. Association of antinuclear antibody status with clinical features and malignancy risk in adult-onset dermatomyositis. [Published online ahead of print November 17, 2018]. J Am Acad Dermatol. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2018.11.023.
This Week's Must Reads
HLA Antigen Mismatch Linked with Skin Cancer Risk, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2019 Jan 23; Gao, Twigg, et al
Poor Prognosis for Thin Ulcerated Melanomas Found, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2019 Jan 14; Hawkins, et al
Association Between AD and Mental Health Disorders, Dermatitis; ePub 2018 Dec 18; Hsu, Smith, et al
Nonsterile Gloves Safe for Skin Cancer Excisions, J Cosmet Dermatol; ePub 2019 Jan 20; Michener, et al
Adult Atopic Dermatitis Profile Varies with Age, J Allergy Clin Immunol; ePub 2019 Jan 24; Zhou, et al
Must Reads in Rare Diseases
Dermatomyositis, Negative ANA, and Malignancy Risk, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Nov 17; Hoesly, et al
Cutaneous Pleomorphic Sarcoma Prognosis Examined, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Nov 8; Ibanez, et al
Early Desmoplastic Melanoma Treatment Comparison, Melanoma Res; ePub 2018 Oct 31; Abbott, et al
Prevalence of Acne Vulgaris Among Patients with HS, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Oct 1; Wertenteil, et al
Pemphigoid Autoimmune Disorder Rare in US, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Aug 27; Wertenteil, et al