Current smoking increased the risk of psoriasis, particularly augmented for individuals who smoked >25 cigarettes per day and for >20 pack-years, while alcohol consumption was not significantly associated with psoriasis development. This according to a recent study that sought to investigate the effects of alcohol and smoking on incident psoriasis. Alcohol consumption, smoking status, and other covariates were collected from 4 rounds (2001, 2005, 2009, and 2013) of a national health interview survey. Incident psoriasis was identified from the National Health Insurance database. Cox regression model was used for the analysis. Researchers found:
- Of 60,136 subjects, 242 (0.40%) developed psoriasis.
- After controlling for demographics and comorbidities, alcohol consumption was not significantly associated with psoriasis risk.
- Conversely, psoriasis risk was higher for current smokers than never smokers (adjusted hazard ratio 1.47).
- The risks were higher among subjects who smoked >25 cigarettes per day and for >20 pack-years.
- In subgroup analysis, current smoking was significantly associated with risk of psoriasis without psoriatic arthritis but not psoriatic arthritis alone.
Dai Y-X, Wang S-C, Chou Y-J, et al. Smoking, but not alcohol, is associated with risk of psoriasis in a Taiwanese population-based cohort study. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2019;80(3):727–734. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2018.11.015.
This Week's Must Reads
Link Found Between AD, Depression, Suicidal Ideation , J Am Acad Dermatol; 2019 Feb; Patel, et al
Patients with Persistent Post-Chemotherapy Alopecia, JAMA Dermatol; ePub 2019 Mar 6; Freites-Martinez, et al
Risk Prediction of In-Hospital Mortality for SJS/TEN, JAMA Dermatol; ePub 2019 Mar 6; Noe, et al
Melanoma Rates Before and After AJCC 7 Enactment, JAMA Dermatol; ePub 2019 Mar 6; Isom, et al
Must Reads in Psoriasis
Inflammatory Diet Not a Risk Factor for Psoriasis, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2019 Feb 21; Bridgman, et al
Patient Satisfaction: Biologic vs Non-Biologic Use, J Cutan Med Surg; ePub 2019 Feb 25; Ighani, et al
Stigma-Stress Among People Living with Psoriasis, Am J Health Behav; 2019 Mar; Parkhouse
Subclinical Atherosclerosis Screening in Psoriasis, PLoS One; ePub 2019 Feb 8; Gonzalez-Cantero, et al
Association Found Between Psoriasis and Vitiligo, Am J Clin Dermatol; 2019 Feb; Yen, Chi