Citizen Pscientist (CP), a novel, cloud-based digital platform that allows psoriatic patients and researchers to engage in the research process, was created by the National Psoriasis Foundation (NPF) to support and educate the global psoriatic disease community. Psoriatic patients were invited to enroll in CP and contribute health data to a cloud database by responding to a 59-question online survey. They were then invited to perform their own analyses of the data using built-in visualization tools allowing for the creation of “discovery charts.” These charts were posted on the CP website allowing for further discussion. Investigators found:
- As of May 2017, 3,534 patients have enrolled in CP and have collectively contributed >200,000 data points on their health status.
- Patients posted 70 discovery charts, generating 209 discussion comments.
- Patients noted that the CP platform adds to their well-being and allows them to express what research questions matter most to them in a direct and quantifiable way.
- The implementation of CP is a successful and novel method of allowing patients to engage in research.
- Thus, CP is an important tool to promote patient-centered psoriatic disease research.
Sanchez IM, Shankle L, Wan MT, et al. Building a Citizen Pscientist: Advancing patient-centered psoriasis research by empowering patients as contributors and analysts. [Published online ahead of print June 6, 2018]. Dermatol Ther (Heidelb). doi:10.1007/s13555-018-0242-5.
This Week's Must Reads
Link Found Between AD, Depression, Suicidal Ideation , J Am Acad Dermatol; 2019 Feb; Patel, et al
Patients with Persistent Post-Chemotherapy Alopecia, JAMA Dermatol; ePub 2019 Mar 6; Freites-Martinez, et al
Risk Prediction of In-Hospital Mortality for SJS/TEN, JAMA Dermatol; ePub 2019 Mar 6; Noe, et al
Melanoma Rates Before and After AJCC 7 Enactment, JAMA Dermatol; ePub 2019 Mar 6; Isom, et al
Must Reads in Psoriasis
Inflammatory Diet Not a Risk Factor for Psoriasis, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2019 Feb 21; Bridgman, et al
Patient Satisfaction: Biologic vs Non-Biologic Use, J Cutan Med Surg; ePub 2019 Feb 25; Ighani, et al
Stigma-Stress Among People Living with Psoriasis, Am J Health Behav; 2019 Mar; Parkhouse
Subclinical Atherosclerosis Screening in Psoriasis, PLoS One; ePub 2019 Feb 8; Gonzalez-Cantero, et al
Association Found Between Psoriasis and Vitiligo, Am J Clin Dermatol; 2019 Feb; Yen, Chi