Citizen Pscientist (CP), a novel, cloud-based digital platform that allows psoriatic patients and researchers to engage in the research process, was created by the National Psoriasis Foundation (NPF) to support and educate the global psoriatic disease community. Psoriatic patients were invited to enroll in CP and contribute health data to a cloud database by responding to a 59-question online survey. They were then invited to perform their own analyses of the data using built-in visualization tools allowing for the creation of “discovery charts.” These charts were posted on the CP website allowing for further discussion. Investigators found:
- As of May 2017, 3,534 patients have enrolled in CP and have collectively contributed >200,000 data points on their health status.
- Patients posted 70 discovery charts, generating 209 discussion comments.
- Patients noted that the CP platform adds to their well-being and allows them to express what research questions matter most to them in a direct and quantifiable way.
- The implementation of CP is a successful and novel method of allowing patients to engage in research.
- Thus, CP is an important tool to promote patient-centered psoriatic disease research.
Sanchez IM, Shankle L, Wan MT, et al. Building a Citizen Pscientist: Advancing patient-centered psoriasis research by empowering patients as contributors and analysts. [Published online ahead of print June 6, 2018]. Dermatol Ther (Heidelb). doi:10.1007/s13555-018-0242-5.
This Week's Must Reads
HLA Antigen Mismatch Linked with Skin Cancer Risk, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2019 Jan 23; Gao, Twigg, et al
Poor Prognosis for Thin Ulcerated Melanomas Found, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2019 Jan 14; Hawkins, et al
Association Between AD and Mental Health Disorders, Dermatitis; ePub 2018 Dec 18; Hsu, Smith, et al
Nonsterile Gloves Safe for Skin Cancer Excisions, J Cosmet Dermatol; ePub 2019 Jan 20; Michener, et al
Adult Atopic Dermatitis Profile Varies with Age, J Allergy Clin Immunol; ePub 2019 Jan 24; Zhou, et al
Must Reads in Psoriasis
CD123 Can Help Distinguish Psoriasis from AGEP, J Cutan Pathol; ePub 2019 Jan 22; Vyas, et al
Metabolic Syndrome Linked to Psoriasis Risk, Br J Dermatol; 2019 Jan; Snekvik, et al
Causal Link Found Between BMI and Psoriasis, PLoS Med; ePub 2019 Jan 31; Budu-Aggrey, et al
Membership in Psoriasis Patient Group Beneficial, Arch Dermatol Res; 2018 Dec; Langenbruch, et al
Examining the Role of Keratinocytes in Psoriasis, J Invest Dermatol; ePub 2019 Jan 23; Ekman, et al