Skin disease is highly prevalent among hospitalized patients, according to a recent study that sought to assess the national burden of inpatient dermatology in adults. Using the 2014 National Inpatient Sample, researchers performed a retrospective cohort study of adults hospitalized for dermatologic conditions. They found:
- In 2014, there were 644,320 weighted hospitalizations principally for skin disease in adults, which cost the health care system $5.04 billion.
- Overall, skin disease was diagnosed in 1 in 8 hospitalized adults.
- Dermatologic hospitalizations were associated with a lack of medical insurance, residence in a low-income community, and small or rural hospitals.
- Racial minorities were less likely to be hospitalized for skin disease than were whites (for blacks: OR, 0.77; for Hispanics: OR, 0.85; for Asians: OR, 0.59).
- Only 0.47% of patients admitted for skin disease experienced in-hospital mortality; however, mortality rates were high in hospitalizations for cutaneous lymphomas (9.19%) and malignant melanoma (6.54%).
Arnold JD, Yooun S, Kirkorian AY. The national burden of inpatient dermatology in adults. [Published online ahead of print December 13, 2018]. J Am Acad Dermatol. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2018.06.070.
This Week's Must Reads
Dietary Changes: No Major Effect on Psoriasis, Dermatol Online J; 2019 Feb 15; Pona, et al
Influenza Vaccine Rates in Adults with Psoriasis, J Invest Dermatol; 2019 Feb; Noe, Shin, et al
Psoriasis and AD Share Inflammatory Components, J Invest Dermatol; ePub 2019 Jan 11; Tsoi, et al
Quality of Life Among Patients with Psoriasis, PsA, Arch Dermatol Res; ePub 2019 Mar 13; Duvetorp, et al
Psoriasis and Cardiometabolic Comorbidity in Women, Acta Derm Venereol; 2019 Mar 1; Blegvad, et al
Must Reads in Mixed Topics
Link Found Between AD, Depression, Suicidal Ideation , J Am Acad Dermatol; 2019 Feb; Patel, et al
Patients with Persistent Post-Chemotherapy Alopecia, JAMA Dermatol; ePub 2019 Mar 6; Freites-Martinez, et al
Patients with HS Have Pyoderma Gangrenosum Risk, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2019 Feb 6; Tannenbaum, et al
Telangiectases Location and Distribution in Youth, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2019 Feb 25; Gonzalez, et al
HLA Antigen Mismatch Linked with Skin Cancer Risk, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2019 Jan 23; Gao, Twigg, et al