Incidence of pneumocystosis among patients exposed to immunosuppressants is very low, according to a recent study. Therefore, prophylaxis for patients receiving combination immunosuppressant and corticosteroid therapy, the group at highest risk, may be warranted. Researchers conducted a retrospective cohort analysis identifying incident pneumocystosis cases among adults without HIV/AIDS or cancer exposed to immunosuppressant and/or corticosteroid therapy. They found:
- 406 new cases were identified among patients prescribed an immunosuppressant, corticosteroid, or both.
- Overall incidence of pneumocystosis was 0.012% (406/3,366,086).
- Incidence was highest in those exposed to immunosuppressant and corticosteroid medications (0.199%), followed by groups exposed to immunosuppressant alone (0.012%), corticosteroid alone (0.008%), and neither medication (0.001%).
- Greatest risk differences were noted between groups exposed to immunosuppressant and corticosteroid compared with neither (0.198%) and with immunosuppressant alone (0.188%).
- Greatest relative risks were noted among those receiving immunosuppressant and corticosteroid compared with those exposed to neither or to immunosuppressant alone.
Rekhtman S, Strunk A, Garg A. Incidence of pneumocystosis among patients exposed to immunosuppression. [Published online ahead of print January 9, 2019]. J Am Acad Dermatol. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2018.12.052.
This Week's Must Reads
Link Found Between AD, Depression, Suicidal Ideation , J Am Acad Dermatol; 2019 Feb; Patel, et al
Patients with Persistent Post-Chemotherapy Alopecia, JAMA Dermatol; ePub 2019 Mar 6; Freites-Martinez, et al
Risk Prediction of In-Hospital Mortality for SJS/TEN, JAMA Dermatol; ePub 2019 Mar 6; Noe, et al
Melanoma Rates Before and After AJCC 7 Enactment, JAMA Dermatol; ePub 2019 Mar 6; Isom, et al
Must Reads in Infectious Diseases
Hospital Readmission for Cellulitis Common, Costly, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2019 Feb 27; Fisher, et al
Pneumocystosis from Exposure to Immunosuppressants, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2019 Jan 9; Rekhtman, et al
FDA Approves Nuzyra for Acute Skin Infections, Paratek Pharmaceuticals, Inc. news release; 2018 Oct 2
ALT-70 Gets High Marks for Diagnosing Cellulitis, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Jul 9; Li, et al
Dermatologic Consultation for Presumed Cellulitis, JAMA Dermatol; ePub 2018 Feb 16; Ko, et al