Although accuracy of US cancer statistics depends on physicians' knowledge of and adherence to reporting mandates, significant knowledge and practice gaps have been documented in regards to melanoma reporting requirements, according to a recent study. Researchers found that most dermatologists remain unaware of melanoma reporting requirements. They performed a survey of US dermatologists attending a national conference (n=174) and calculated the proportion aware of the melanoma reporting mandate and the proportion who routinely report newly diagnosed cases. They found:
- 91% (158/174) of those sampled completed the survey.
- 49% correctly identified melanoma as being a disease of mandated reporting.
- Only 34% reported newly diagnosed cases to their state registry.
- Dermatologists seeing low melanoma volumes were less likely to routinely report newly diagnosed cases to registries than those seeing high volumes (22.9% vs 45.4%).
- Those in practice for ≤10 years were less likely to be aware of the mandate than those in practice longer (32.6% vs 57.0%).
Interventions aimed at improving knowledge of the mandate should focus on younger clinicians and those with lower melanoma case volumes.
Svoboda RM, Glazer A, Farberg AS, Cowdrey MCE, Rogel DS. Melanoma reporting practices of United States dermatologists. [Published online ahead of print May 25, 2018]. Dermatolog Surg. doi:10.1097/DSS.0000000000001561.
This Week's Must Reads
Health Care Screening, Skin Cancer Risk Link Found, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Dec 26; Drucker, et al
Vitamin D Linked with Eczema in Non-Hispanic Whites, Allergy; ePub 2018 Dec 27; Wei, Jaleel, et al
Mohs Surgery Beneficial for Melanoma of Head/Neck, Dermatolog Surg; ePub 2018 Dec 13; Demer, et al
Study: Vitiligo and Major Depression Disorder Linked, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Dec 5; Vallerand, et al
Habitual Nail Biting, Psychiatric Disorders Linked , Am J Clin Dermatol; 2018 Dec; Winebrake, et al
Must Reads in Health Policy
AAD’s Skin Cancer Screening Program Assessed, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Jul 26; Okhovat, et al
Decision Tree Identifies Sun-Protective Behaviors, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Jun 27; Morris, et al
Gaps in Melanoma Reporting Practices Discovered , Dermatolog Surg; ePub 2018 May 25; Svoboda, et al
Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Sun Safety, JAMA Dermatol; ePub 2017 Nov 8; Geller, et al