Nickel allergy is of significant public health importance in North America and the frequency of nickel sensitivity in patients referred for patch testing has significantly increased over a 20-year period. This according to a recent study that sought to examine the epidemiology of nickel sensitivity in North America. Researchers conducted a retrospective, cross-sectional analysis of 44,097 patients patch tested by the North American Contact Dermatitis Group from 1994-2014. They evaluated frequency of nickel sensitivity and patient demographics. For each positive nickel reaction, they tabulated clinical relevance, occupational relatedness, and exposure sources. They found:
- Average frequency of nickel sensitivity was 17.5% (1994-2014).
- Nickel sensitivity significantly increased over time (14.3% 1994-1996 to 20.1% 2013-2014).
- Nickel sensitive patients were significantly more likely to be female, young, non-Caucasian, atopic (eczema and asthma), and/or have dermatitis affecting the face, scalp, ears, neck, arm, or trunk.
- Overall, 55.5% of reactions were currently clinically relevant; this frequency significantly increased over time (44.1% 1994-1996 to 51.6% 2013-2014).
- Occupational relatedness was 3.7% overall with a significant decrease over time (7.9% 1994-1996 to 1.9% 2013-2014).
- Jewelry was the most common source.
Warshaw EM, Zhang AJ, DeKoven JG, et al. Epidemiology of nickel sensitivity: Retrospective cross-sectional analysis of North American Contact Dermatitis Group (NACDG) Data 1994-2014. [Published online ahead of print October 17, 2018]. J Am Acad Dermatol. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2018.09.058.
This Week's Must Reads
HLA Antigen Mismatch Linked with Skin Cancer Risk, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2019 Jan 23; Gao, Twigg, et al
Poor Prognosis for Thin Ulcerated Melanomas Found, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2019 Jan 14; Hawkins, et al
Association Between AD and Mental Health Disorders, Dermatitis; ePub 2018 Dec 18; Hsu, Smith, et al
Nonsterile Gloves Safe for Skin Cancer Excisions, J Cosmet Dermatol; ePub 2019 Jan 20; Michener, et al
Adult Atopic Dermatitis Profile Varies with Age, J Allergy Clin Immunol; ePub 2019 Jan 24; Zhou, et al
Must Reads in Contact Dermatitis
Negative Patch Test Patients Share Distinct Traits, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2019 Jan 10; Warshaw, et al
Nickel Allergy: Significant Rise in North America, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Oct 17; Warshaw, et al
Farm Living Inversely Linked with Skin Allergy, Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol; ePub 2018 Apr 6, Patel, et al
More Than 50 Allergens Linked with Skin Cleansers, Dermatitis; ePub 2017 Dec 18; Warshaw, et al
Patch-Test Reactions to Essential Oils Evaluated, Dermatitis; ePub 2017 Jun 13; Warshaw, et al