Melanoma detection through total body skin examination is most efficient in patients aged ≥50 years and those with a personal history of melanoma, a recent study found. Researchers conducted a retrospective observational study in order to determine the number needed to screen (NNS) and biopsy (NNB) and cost per skin cancer diagnosed in a large dermatology practice in patients undergoing total body skin examination. They found:
- During 2011-2015, a total of 20,270 patients underwent 33,647 visits for total body skin examination; 9,956 lesion biopsies were performed yielding 2,763 skin cancers, including 155 melanomas.
- The NNS to detect 1 skin cancer was 12.2 and 1 melanoma was 215.
- The NNB to detect 1 skin cancer was 3.0 and 1 melanoma was 27.8.
- In a multivariable model for NNS, age and personal history of melanoma were significant factors.
- Age switched from a protective factor to a risk factor at age 51 years.
- The estimated cost per melanoma detected was $32,594.
Matsumoto M, Secrest A, Anderson A, et al. Estimating the cost of skin cancer detection by dermatology providers in a large health care system. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018;78(4):701-709.e1. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2017.11.033.
This Week's Must Reads
Psoriasis Linked with Increased All-Cause Mortality, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Dec 24; Dhana, et al
Examining Patient Resistance to Psoriasis Treatment, Exp Opin Pharmacother; ePub 2018 Dec 27; Heath, et al
Psoriasis Linked with Periodontal Inflammation, J Invest Dermatol; ePub 2019 Jan 2; Woeste, et al
Psoriasis Independently Linked with Depression Risk, Br J Dermatol; 2019 Jan; Egeberg, Thyssen, Wu, et al
Health Literacy May Benefit Patients with Psoriasis, Br J Dermatol; ePub 2018 Dec 31; Larsen, et al
Must Reads in Business of Medicine
Trends in Medicare Usage by Dermatologists, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Dec 19; Ya, et al
Outpatient Dermatology Services Disparities Found, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Sep 26; Tripathi, et al
Actinic Keratosis Treatment Burden in Medicare , JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Sep 19; Yeung, et al
Economic Analysis of Noninvasive Pathologic Assay, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Jul 11; Hornberger, et al
Estimating the Cost of Skin Cancer Detection, J Am Acad Dermatol; 2018 Apr; Matsumoto, et al