Increased gestational weight gain (GWG) was associated with increased risk of atopic dermatitis (AD) in offspring, according to a recent study. This supports existing evidence that prenatal exposures contribute to the development of atopic disorders. Maternal pre-pregnancy body mass index (BMI) and GWG were assessed by questionnaire through the Growing Up Today Study (GUTS), a prospective cohort study of US children. Mothers reported whether GUTS participants had ever been diagnosed with AD by a clinician in either 1997 or 1999, when GUTS participants were between aged between 10-17 years. They found:
- Among 13,269 GUTS participants, 2,058 (16%) had childhood AD.
- Higher maternal pre-pregnancy BMI was not associated with AD.
- By contrast, GWG was associated with increased AD risk.
- Compared to children of mothers who gained 25-34 pounds, children of mothers who gained 35-44 pounds and ≥45 pounds had an increased risk of AD.
- These associations appeared stronger with pre-pregnancy BMI >25 (GWG 35-44 pounds, GWG ≥45 pounds), but the statistical interaction between BMI and GWG was not significant.
Drucker AM, Pope EI, Field AE, Qureshi A, Dumas O, Camargo Jr CA. Association between maternal pre-pregnancy body mass index, gestational weight gain, and offspring atopic dermatitis: A prospective cohort study. [Published online ahead of print November 8, 2018]. J Allergy Clin Immunol. doi:10.1016/j.jaip.2018.10.044.
This Week's Must Reads
Health Care Screening, Skin Cancer Risk Link Found, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Dec 26; Drucker, et al
Vitamin D Linked with Eczema in Non-Hispanic Whites, Allergy; ePub 2018 Dec 27; Wei, Jaleel, et al
Mohs Surgery Beneficial for Melanoma of Head/Neck, Dermatolog Surg; ePub 2018 Dec 13; Demer, et al
Study: Vitiligo and Major Depression Disorder Linked, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Dec 5; Vallerand, et al
Habitual Nail Biting, Psychiatric Disorders Linked , Am J Clin Dermatol; 2018 Dec; Winebrake, et al
Must Reads in Atopic Dermatitis
Association Found Between AD and Suicidality, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Dec 12; Sandhu, et al
Anchoring Not Significant in Treatment of AD, J Dermatolog Treat; ePub 2018 Dec 3; Curry, et al
Unsafe Neighborhoods Linked with Higher AD Risk, Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol; ePub 2018 Oct 26; McKenzie, et al
Gestational Weight Gain, AD in Offspring Linked, J Allergy Clin Immunol; ePub 2018 Nov 8; Drucker, et al
Racial/Ethnic Differences Examined in Persistent AD, J Invest Dermatol; ePub 2018 Nov 8; Kim, et al