Surgical treatment of hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) by wide local excision with healing by secondary intention using tap water-moistened plain gauze dressings changed 2 to 3 times per day is a simple, practical approach that has good results, a recent study found. Researchers conducted a retrospective review of all patients operated on for HS over a 35-year period. Specific data abstracted included patient age, weight, admission, length of stay, wound size, type of wound care, number of post-op visits, time to heal, and recurrence. They found:
- From 1979 through 2014, 122 patients (56 men and 66 women, median age 38), underwent 245 operations for HS.
- Patients underwent from 1 to 10 procedures; 61 patients (50%) underwent ≥2 procedures; and 26 (21%) underwent ≥3.
- Wound sizes at operation ranged from quite small to >1,500 cm2.
- A total of 197 wounds healed by secondary intention: 83 of these were left completely open at the time of surgery; 117 were partially closed.
- In total, 106 procedures were ambulatory; median wound size was 30 cm2; and median time to heal was 40 days.
Burney, RE. 35-year experience with surgical treatment of hidradenitis suppurativa. [Published online ahead of print June 13, 2017]. World J Surg. doi:10.1007/s00268-017-4091-7.
This Week's Must Reads
ALT-70 Gets High Marks for Diagnosing Cellulitis, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Jul 9; Li, et al
MMS/MART-1 Immunostaining for Atypical Melanocytes, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Jul 9; Etzkorn, et al
Economic Analysis of Noninvasive Pathologic Assay, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Jul 11; Hornberger, et al
Use of Advanced Practice Professionals on the Rise, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Jul 11; Zhang, et al
Folate and Risk of Cutaneous Melanoma in Women, Cancer Epidemiol; 2018 Aug; Dhana, Ten, Li, et al
Must Reads in Rare Diseases
Mohs Surgery Effective for Atypical Fibroxanthoma, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Jul 5; Tolkachjov, et al
FDA Approves Rituxan for Pemphigus Vulgaris, Genentech Web site; 2018 Jun 7
Climate, Pollution, and Pemphigus Associated, Clin Exp Dermatol; ePub 2018 Jun 1; Ren, et al
Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome and Quality of Life, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Jun 5; Harvey, et al
Rare, Severe Mucocutaneous Reaction Investigated, J Invest Dermatol; ePub 2018 May 11; Micheletti, et al