Patients with psoriasis have physical and psychological comorbidities that have been associated with a higher risk of sexual dysfunction (SD), according to a recent systematic review. In addition, psoriasis may play a role in its development. Therefore, the presence of anxiety, depression, psoriatic arthritis, genital lesions, and increasing age should raise the awareness of SD. Search terms were “psoriasis” and “sexual” or “sexual dysfunction.” Investigators found:
- 28 studies representing 52,520 cases of psoriasis and 1,806,022 controls were included for review.
- Prevalence of SD and erectile dysfunction (ED) ranged from 40.0% to 55.6% and 34.2% to 81.1%, respectively.
- 2 of 2 studies observed an association between psoriasis and SD after adjusting for physical and psychological comorbidities.
- 5 of 8 studies observed an independent association between ED and psoriasis.
- Among patients with psoriasis, the features that showed the strongest association with SD were anxiety and depression, psoriatic arthritis, and genital psoriasis.
- Regarding ED, anxiety and depression and increasing age showed the strongest association.
Molina-Leyva A, Salvador-Rodriguez L, Martinez-Lopez A, Ruiz-Carrascosa JC, Arias-Santiago S. Association between psoriasis and sexual and erectile dysfunction in epidemiologic studies. A systematic review. [Published online ahead of print October 10, 2018]. JAMA Dermatol. doi:10.1001/jamadermatol.2018.3442.
This Week's Must Reads
Dermatomyositis, Negative ANA, and Malignancy Risk, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Nov 17; Hoesly, et al
Head/Neck Melanomas Have High Local Recurrence Risk, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Nov 17; Fix, et al
DOT Laser Offers Low Incidence of Adverse Effects, J Drugs Dermatol; 2018 Nov; Sarnoff, Gotkin, et al
Frontal Fibrosing Alopecia and Severity Factors , Dermatology (Karger); ePub 2018 Nov 22; Mervis, et al
Unsafe Neighborhoods Linked with Higher AD Risk, Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol; ePub 2018 Oct 26; McKenzie, et al
Must Reads in Psoriasis
Psoriasis Associated with Sexual Dysfunction, JAMA Dermatol; ePub 2018 Oct 10; Molina-Leyva, et al
Association Between Psoriasis and Suicide Examined, Dermatolog Ther; ePub 2018 Oct 12; Liang, et al
FDA Approves Hyrimoz for Plaque Psoriasis, Sandoz news release; 2018 Oct 31
Psoriasis Treatment Receives Tentative FDA Approval, Bausch Heath news release; 2018 Oct 8
Young Adults with Psoriasis Have Impaired QOL, J Dermatolog Treat; ePub 2018 Sep 7; Bronckers, et al