Tumor size, grade, gender, age at diagnosis, and race appear to influence survival as prognostic factors in cutaneous pleomorphic sarcoma (CPS), according to a recent study. Furthermore, surgical tumor extirpation provides a survival benefit over no treatment whereas primary or adjuvant radiation does not provide a survival benefit. National Cancer Institute’s Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) data (1972-2013) were analyzed for 2,423 patients diagnosed with CPS. Researchers found:
- Age-adjusted incidence rate was 0.152 cases per 100,000 person-years and was 4.5-fold higher in males than females.
- Male gender, white race, and increasing age >40 years were significantly associated with decreased overall survival.
- Head and neck tumors, tumors >15mm, and with grade III or IV histology had significantly decreased survival.
- Surgical excision had a survival benefit compared to no treatment.
- Radiation therapy did not provide a survival benefit.
- Patients with localized disease had the greatest survival followed by regional and distant disease.
Ibanez, MA, Rismiller K, Knackstedt T. Prognostic factors, treatment, and survival in cutaneous pleomorphic sarcoma. [Published online ahead of print November 8, 2018]. J Am Acad Dermatol. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2018.08.054.
This Week's Must Reads
Dermatomyositis, Negative ANA, and Malignancy Risk, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Nov 17; Hoesly, et al
Head/Neck Melanomas Have High Local Recurrence Risk, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Nov 17; Fix, et al
DOT Laser Offers Low Incidence of Adverse Effects, J Drugs Dermatol; 2018 Nov; Sarnoff, Gotkin, et al
Frontal Fibrosing Alopecia and Severity Factors , Dermatology (Karger); ePub 2018 Nov 22; Mervis, et al
Unsafe Neighborhoods Linked with Higher AD Risk, Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol; ePub 2018 Oct 26; McKenzie, et al
Must Reads in Nonmelanoma Skin Cancer
Cutaneous Pleomorphic Sarcoma Prognosis Examined, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Nov 8; Ibanez, et al
High Risk SCC and Mohs Micrographic Surgery, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Sep 19; Marrazzo, et al
FDA Approves Libtayo for Metastatic cSCC, Sanofi news release; 2018 Sep 28
Incidence of Oral SCC Risk in Oral Lichen Planus, Int J Dermatol; ePub 2018 Sep 14; Lanoisz, et al
Nevus Development Trajectory from Age 3 to 16 Years, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Sep 12; Asdigian, et al