Adults with atopic dermatitis (AD) had increased cutaneous, respiratory, multi-organ, and systemic infections, which were associated with a considerable cost burden, according to a recent study. Data from the 2002 to 2012 National Inpatient Sample were analyzed, including an approximately 20% sample of all US hospitalizations (n=72,108,077 adults). Prevalence of serious infections in hospitalized patients with vs without AD, length of stay, cost of care, and inpatient mortality secondary to serious infections were determined. Researchers found:
- The prevalence of serious infections expressed as a percentage was higher in adults hospitalized with than in those without AD (42.1% vs 25.4%).
- AD was associated with 32 of 38 infections examined.
- Associated cutaneous infections included eczema herpeticum adjusted for other predictors: erysipelas and cellulitis.
- Associated respiratory infections included aspergillosis and tuberculosis.
- AD was associated with extracutaneous, multi-organ, and systemic infections, including infectious arthropathy, endocarditis, encephalitis, and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections.
Narla S, Silverberg JI. Association between atopic dermatitis and serious cutaneous, multiorgan and systemic infections in US adults. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2018;120(1):66-72.e11. doi:10.1016/j.anai.2017.10.019.
This Week's Must Reads
Prevalence and Type of Genital Lesions in OTRs, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Jan 31; Nadhan, et al
Use of UV Radiation for Medical, Cosmetic Purposes, J Clin Aesthet Dermatol; 2018 Feb; Sampson, et al
Melanoma Risk Assessed in Melanoma-Prone Families, J Invest Dermatol; ePub 2018 Feb 2; Tucker, Elder, et al
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Linked with HS, J Invest Dermatol; ePub 2018 Feb 4; Garg, et al
Two Surgeries Effective for Merkel Cell Carcinoma, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Feb 3; Singh, et al
Must Reads in Atopic Dermatitis
Use of Antihistamines for AD Treatment Evaluated, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Jan 6; He, et al
Atopic Dermatitis Linked with Serious Infections, Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol; 2018 Jan; Narla, et al
Association Between AD and SCC Discovered, Int J Dermatol; ePub 2017 Dec 15; Cho, Davis, et al
Severity of Scratching Useful Assessment in Trials, J Invest Dermatol; ePub 2017 Dec 11; Udkoff, et al
Patient-Reported Global Severity of Adult AD, Allergy; ePub 2017 Sep 14; Vakharia, Chopra, et al