Adults with atopic dermatitis (AD) had increased cutaneous, respiratory, multi-organ, and systemic infections, which were associated with a considerable cost burden, according to a recent study. Data from the 2002 to 2012 National Inpatient Sample were analyzed, including an approximately 20% sample of all US hospitalizations (n=72,108,077 adults). Prevalence of serious infections in hospitalized patients with vs without AD, length of stay, cost of care, and inpatient mortality secondary to serious infections were determined. Researchers found:
- The prevalence of serious infections expressed as a percentage was higher in adults hospitalized with than in those without AD (42.1% vs 25.4%).
- AD was associated with 32 of 38 infections examined.
- Associated cutaneous infections included eczema herpeticum adjusted for other predictors: erysipelas and cellulitis.
- Associated respiratory infections included aspergillosis and tuberculosis.
- AD was associated with extracutaneous, multi-organ, and systemic infections, including infectious arthropathy, endocarditis, encephalitis, and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections.
Narla S, Silverberg JI. Association between atopic dermatitis and serious cutaneous, multiorgan and systemic infections in US adults. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2018;120(1):66-72.e11. doi:10.1016/j.anai.2017.10.019.
This Week's Must Reads
Dermatologist-Delivered Intervention Is Effective, JAMA Dermatology; ePub 2018 Aug 8; Mallett, et al
HRQOL in Patients with Cutaneous T-Cell Lymphoma, Int J Dermatol; ePub 2018 Aug 3; Holahan, Farah, et al
Disparities Seen in Access to Injectable Biologics , J Dermatolog Treat; ePub 2018 Aug 4; Feng, et al
Psoriasis Not Associated with Higher Dementia Risk, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Aug 6; Pezzolo, et al
Discerning Merkel Cell Carcinoma from Other Tumors, Am J Dermapathol; ePub 2018 Jul 24; Bandino, et al
Must Reads in Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic Dermatitis Puts Heavy Burden on Patients, Ann Asthma Allergy Immunol; ePub 2018 Jul 16; Silverberg, et al
AD Patients’ Reactions to Personal Care Products, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 Jul 24; Rastogi, et al
Family Structure Linked with AD in US Children, J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 May 31; McKenzie, et al
Financial Burden of ED Visits for Atopic Dermatitis , J Am Acad Dermatol; ePub 2018 May 22; Kwa, et al
Trends in Atopic Dermatitis Management, J Drugs Dermatol; 2018 Feb; He, Feldman, et al