Severe outcomes are being reported in young children who are frequently and increasingly exposed to e-cigarettes and nicotine liquid, and prevention strategies are needed to regulate these products to help prevent child poisoning. This according to an analysis of 29,141 calls received by the National Poison Data System for exposures associated with nicotine and tobacco products among children aged <6 years in the US. Researchers found:
• Cigarettes accounted for 60% of exposures, followed by other tobacco products (16.4%) and e-cigarettes (14.2%).
• Monthly number of exposures associated with e-cigarettes increased by 1492.9% during the study period.
• Children aged <2 years accounted for 44% of e-cigarette exposures, 91.6% of cigarette exposures, and 75.4% of other tobacco exposures.
• Children exposed to e-cigarettes had 5.2 times higher odds of a health care facility admission and 2.6 times higher odds of having a severe outcome than children exposed to cigarettes.
Citation: Kamboj A, Spiller HA, Casavant MJ, Chounthirath T, Smith GA. Pediatric exposure to e-cigarettes, nicotine, and tobacco products in the United States. [Published online ahead of print May 9, 2016]. Pediatrics. doi:10.1542/peds.2016-0041.
1. Singh T, Arrazola RA, Corey CG, et al. Tobacco use among middle and high school students—United States, 2011–2015. [Published online ahead of print April 15, 2016]. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;65:361–367. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6514a1.
2. FDA takes significant steps to protect Americans from dangers of tobacco through new regulation. FDA Web site. May 5, 2016. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm499234.htm. Accessed May 9, 2016.
This Week's Must Reads
Must Reads in Pediatrics
Firearms Mortality Among US Schoolchildren, Am J Med; ePub 2019 Mar 25; Rubenstein, et al
AHA Statement: CV Risk Reduction in Pediatrics, Circulation; ePub 2019 Feb 25; de Ferranti, et al
Epicutaneous Immunotherapy in Peanut Allergy, JAMA; ePub 2019 Feb 22; Fleischer, et al
Appropriateness of Outpatient Antibiotic Prescribing , BMJ; ePub 2019 Jan 16; Chua, Fischer, et al