The consumption of sugars, fats, and sodium exceeds recommended guidelines before many US children reach school age, and this can influence future eating patterns, a recent study found. Cross-sectional data from the NHANES 2009-2014 were used to estimate: mean intake of sugars, saturated fats, and sodium; the proportion exceeding recommended limits; and the leading sources of these nutrients in the diets of 3,345 US children aged <5 years. Researchers found:
- Nonbreastfeeding children in this study group consumed a mean percent of total energy of 10.1% from added sugars (ASs), 13.9% from free sugars, 12.8% from saturated fats, and 1,804 mg Na.
- Sugary beverages contributed to 6.7%, with consumption lower among higher-income children.
- AS and sodium intake rose rapidly from infancy to age 1-<2 years and gradually thereafter.
- Saturated fat intake was highest in infancy.
- Intake exceeded recommended limits for ASs, free sugars, saturated fats, and sodium for 45%, 63%, 72%, and 67% of all children, respectively.
Wang Y, Guglielmo D, Welsh JA. Consumption of sugars, saturated fat, and sodium among US children from infancy through preschool age, NHANES 2009–2014. [Published online ahead of print September 20, 2018]. Am J Clin Nutrit. doi:10.1093/ajcn/nqy168.
This Week's Must Reads
AHA Statement: Accurate Measurement of BP, Hypertension; ePub 2019 Mar 4; Muntner, et al
Coffee Consumption & Plasma Biomarkers, Am J Clin Nutr; ePub 2019 Mar 5; Hang, et al
Is Adding Aspirin to Warfarin Therapy Beneficial? , JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2019 Mar 4; Schaefer, et al
Urinary Oxalate Excretion & Risk of CKD Progression, JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2019 Mar 4; Waikar, et al
Psychosocial Stress & CV Health in Older Women, Circulation; ePub 2019 Feb 28; Burroughs-Peña, et al
Must Reads in Pediatrics
AHA Statement: CV Risk Reduction in Pediatrics, Circulation; ePub 2019 Feb 25; de Ferranti, et al
Epicutaneous Immunotherapy in Peanut Allergy, JAMA; ePub 2019 Feb 22; Fleischer, et al
Appropriateness of Outpatient Antibiotic Prescribing , BMJ; ePub 2019 Jan 16; Chua, Fischer, et al
Assessing the Diet Quality of US Children, Am J Clin Nutrit; ePub 2018 Dec 29; Thomson, et al
Trends in Pediatric Outpatient Antibiotic Use, Pediatrics; ePub 2018 Dec 17; Finkelstein, et al