Major depressive disorder (MDD) screening among privately insured adolescents remains low, even after the US Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) 2009 endorsement of universal screening for adolescent MDD. This according to a retrospective cohort study of adolescents aged 12-14 years continuously insured from 2010 to 2014. The primary outcome was the frequency of MDD screening. Researchers found:
- 413,080 adolescents (49% female, 89% urban, 21% with family history of depression) were included.
- Adolescents averaged 2.9 well-visits during the 5-year study period.
- MDD screening was more likely for urban residents, those with conduct disorder, and those with more well visits.
- MDD screening was 96% less likely in those switching between multiple provider types for well-visits.
- Family history of depression did not influence coding for MDD screening.
Sekhar DL, Ba DM, Liu G, Kraschnewski JL. Major depressive disorder screening remains low even among privately insured adolescents. [Published online ahead of print September 21, 2018]. J Pediatr. doi:10.1016/j.jpeds.2018.07.086.
This Week's Must Reads
AHA Statement: Accurate Measurement of BP, Hypertension; ePub 2019 Mar 4; Muntner, et al
Coffee Consumption & Plasma Biomarkers, Am J Clin Nutr; ePub 2019 Mar 5; Hang, et al
Is Adding Aspirin to Warfarin Therapy Beneficial? , JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2019 Mar 4; Schaefer, et al
Urinary Oxalate Excretion & Risk of CKD Progression, JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2019 Mar 4; Waikar, et al
Psychosocial Stress & CV Health in Older Women, Circulation; ePub 2019 Feb 28; Burroughs-Peña, et al
Must Reads in Mental Health
Outpatient Benzodiazepine Prescribing in US, JAMA Netw Open; 2019 Jan 25; Agarwal, et al
Hospitalization Rates in Young-Onset Diabetes, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2019 Jan 15; Ke, Lau, et al
Health Care Utilization of a Dementia Care Program, JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2018 Dec 21; Jennings, et al
USPSTF: Screen Adults for Unhealthy Alcohol Use, JAMA; 2018 Nov 13; Curry, et al
Peer Support Impact in Adults with T2D & Depression, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Oct 29; Cherrington, et al