Pioglitazone use for diabetes was not associated with a statistically significant increased risk of bladder cancer in a cohort study of 193,099 individuals aged 40 years and older, although an increased risk could not be excluded from the analysis, including increased prostate and pancreatic cancer risks associated with ever use of the drug. The study also included an analysis of 10 additional cancers in 236,507 individuals aged 40 years and older and concluded:
• 18% of individuals in the bladder cancer cohort received pioglitazone and 1,261 had incident bladder cancer.
• Ever use of pioglitazone was not associated with bladder cancer risk.
• There was no association with 8 of the 10 additional cancers.
• There was increased risk of prostate cancer (HR-1.13) and pancreatic cancer (HR-1.41) from ever use of pioglitazone.
Citation: Lewis JD, Habel LA, Quesenberry CP, et al. Pioglitazone use and risk of bladder cancer and other common cancers in persons with diabetes. JAMA. 2015;314(3):265-277.
1. Dormandy JA, Charbonnel B, Eckland DJ, et al. Secondary prevention of macrovascular events in patients with type 2 diabetes in the Proactive study (Prospective pioglitazone clinical trial in macrovascular events): a randomized controlled trial. Lancet. 2005;366 (9493):1279-1289.
2. Inzucchi SE, Bergenstal RM, Buse JB, et al. Management of hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes, 2015: A patient-centered approach: update to a position statement of the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2015;38:140–149.
This Week's Must Reads
Acute Illness and Cannabis Use in Adults, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2019 Mar 26; Monte, et al
Pregnancy History and Risk of Miscarriage, BMJ; ePub 2019 Mar 20; Magnus, et al
Firearms Mortality Among US Schoolchildren, Am J Med; ePub 2019 Mar 25; Rubenstein, et al
Rapid Point of Care Test for Influenza, J Am Board Fam Med; 2019 Mar; Dale, et al
Sleep Disturbance and Chronic Pain Intensity, Clin J Pain; ePub 2019 Mar 25; Burgess, et al
Must Reads in Endocrinology
Labeling of Selective Androgen Receptor Modulators, JAMA; 2017 Nov 28; Van Wagoner, Eichner, et al
Vitamin D & Glycemic Control in Patients with T2D, J Clin Endocrinol Metab; 2017 Sep 1; Mirhosseini, et al
Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Patients with T2D, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2017 Aug 22; Beck, et al
Thyroid HT in Older Adults with Hypothyroidism, N Engl J Med; 2017 Jun 29; Stott, Rodondi, et al
Tymlos Approved for Osteoporosis in Postmenopausal Women, Radius Health news release; 2017 April 28