A single-sample confirmatory definition of diabetes had a high positive predictive value for subsequent diagnosis and was strongly associated with clinical end points, a recent study found. 13,346 participants from the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study (12,268 without diagnosed diabetes) were included with 25 years of follow-up for incident diabetes, cardiovascular outcomes, kidney disease, and mortality. Confirmed undiagnosed diabetes was defined as elevated levels of fasting glucose and HbA1c from a single blood sample. Researchers found:
- Among 12,268 participants without diagnosed diabetes, 978 had elevated levels of fasting glucose or HbA1c at baseline.
- Among these, 39% had both (confirmed undiagnosed diabetes), whereas 61% had only 1 elevated measure (unconfirmed undiagnosed diabetes).
- The confirmatory definition had moderate sensitivity (54.9%) but high specificity (98.1%) for identification of diabetes cases diagnosed during the first 5 years of follow-up, with specificity increasing to 99.6% by 15 years.
- 15-year positive predictive value was 88.7% vs 71.1% for unconfirmed cases.
- Confirmed undiagnosed diabetes was significantly associated with CV and kidney disease and mortality, with stronger associations than unconfirmed diabetes.
Selvin E, Wang D, Matsushita K, Grams ME, Coresh J. Prognostic implications of single-sample confirmatory testing for undiagnosed diabetes: A prospective cohort study. [Published online ahead of print June 19, 2018]. Ann Intern Med. doi:10.7326/M18-0091.
This Week's Must Reads
Acute Illness and Cannabis Use in Adults, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2019 Mar 26; Monte, et al
Pregnancy History and Risk of Miscarriage, BMJ; ePub 2019 Mar 20; Magnus, et al
Firearms Mortality Among US Schoolchildren, Am J Med; ePub 2019 Mar 25; Rubenstein, et al
Rapid Point of Care Test for Influenza, J Am Board Fam Med; 2019 Mar; Dale, et al
Sleep Disturbance and Chronic Pain Intensity, Clin J Pain; ePub 2019 Mar 25; Burgess, et al
Must Reads in Diabetes
Testosterone Therapy to Prevent T2D in Men, Diabetes Care; ePub 2019 Mar 18; Yassin, et al
Patterns of Diabetes Screening During Office Visits, J Am Board Fam Med; 2019 Mar-Apr; Shealy, et al
Muscular Strength and Incidence of Type 2 Diabetes, Mayo Clin Proc; ePub 2019 Mar 11; Wang, et al
Insulin Management in Patients with T2D, Lancet; ePub 2019 Feb 22; Bergenstal, et al
Hospitalization Rates in Young-Onset Diabetes, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2019 Jan 15; Ke, Lau, et al