Peer support decreased acute care visits and hospitalizations for patients with type 2 diabetes (T2D) and depressive symptoms but not for those without depressive symptoms, a new study found. The cluster-randomized controlled trial included adults with T2D who wanted help with self-management. Intervention participants received 1 year of peer support. Control participants received usual care. Researchers found:
- At baseline, half of the sample reported mild depressive symptoms, and one-fourth reported moderate depressive symptoms.
- 168 intervention (6 clusters) and 187 control (5 clusters) participants had follow-up data.
- In those with mild depressive symptoms, the incidence rate ratio (IRR) for hospitalization among intervention vs control was 0.26 per 10-patient years.
- The IRR for AC was 0.55 per 10 person-years.
- Findings were similar for those with moderate depressive symptoms.
Cherrington AL, Khodneva Y, Richman JS, et al. Impact of peer support on acute care visits and hospitalizations for individuals with diabetes and depressive symptoms: A cluster-randomized controlled trial. [Published online ahead of print October 29, 2018]. Diabetes Care. doi: 10.2337/dc18-0550.
This Week's Must Reads
Acellular Pertussis Vaccine Is Safe & Effective, JAMA Pediatr; 2018 Nov; Wood, Nolan, et al
Influenza and Pertussis Vaccination in Pregnancy, Vaccine; ePub 2018 Nov 3; Wilcox, Bottrell, et al
Influenza Vaccine Efficacy in High-Risk Patients, Vaccine; ePub 2018 Nov 9; Shang, Chung, et al
Childhood Vaccination Coverage Rates Compared, J Paediatr Child Health; ePub 2018 Nov 13; Baumann, et al
Measles Immunity After Vaccination in Children with HIV, Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Nov 12; Mutsaerts, et al
Must Reads in Diabetes
Rotating Night Shift Work & Risk of T2D, BMJ; ePub 2018 Nov 21; Shan, Li, et al
BMI & Risk of Postpregnancy T2D in Women with HDP , Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Nov 19; Timpka, et al
Diabetes Outcomes in Patients by PCPs, NPs, or PAs, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2018 Nov 20; Jackson, et al
Diabetes-Related Lower Extremity Amputations, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Nov 8; Geiss, et al
Peer Support Impact in Adults with T2D & Depression, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Oct 29; Cherrington, et al