Burnout is common in all neurology practice settings and subspecialties, according to a recent survey. The results from this survey will help shape approaches needed to reduce burnout and promote career satisfaction and well-being in US neurologists. A total of 4,127 US American Academy of Neurology member neurologists who had finished training were surveyed using validated measures of burnout, career satisfaction, and well-being from January 19 to March 21, 2016. Researchers found:
- Response rate was 40.5% (1,671 of 4,127).
- Average age of participants was 51 years, with 65.3% male and nearly equal representation across US geographic regions.
- Approximately 60% of respondents had at least 1 symptom of burnout.
- Hours worked/week, nights on call/week, number of outpatients seen/week, and amount of clerical work were associated with greater burnout risk.
- Effective support staff, job autonomy, meaningful work, age, and subspecializing in epilepsy were associated with lower risk.
- Burnout was strongly associated with decreased career satisfaction.
Busis NA, Shanafelt TD, Keran CM, et al. Burnout, career satisfaction, and well-being among US neurologists in 2016. [Published online ahead of print January 25, 2017]. Neurology. doi:10.1212/WNL.0000000000003640.
This Week's Must Reads
Examining Brain Markers for Late-Onset Epilepsy, Neurology; ePub 2019 Jan 25; Johnson, et al
Hearing Loss Linked Cognitive Decline Risk in Men, Alzheimers Dement; ePub 2019 Jan 29; Curhan, et al
Brain Cholesterol Metabolism and PD Examined, Mov Disord; ePub 2019 Jan 25; Huang, et al
Sleep Behavior Disorder, Clinical Progression in PD, Parkinsonism Relat Disord; ePub 2019 Jan 29; Duarte Folle, et al
Spontaneous Subarachnoid Hemorrhage During Pregnancy, J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis; ePub 2019 Jan 30; Limaye, et al
Must Reads in Practice Management
Neurologic Drug Shortages May Compromise Care, Neurology; ePub 2017 Nov 15; Omorodion, et al
Racial Disparities in Neurologic Care Examined, Neurology; ePub 2017 May 17; Saadi, et al
60% of Neurologists Note at Least 1 Burnout Symptom, Neurology; ePub 2017 Jan 25; Busis, Shanafelt, et al