Between 1990 and 2016, the burden of motor neuron diseases has increased substantially, according to a recent study that included amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, spinal muscular atrophy, hereditary spastic paraplegia, primary lateral sclerosis, progressive muscular atrophy, and pseudobulbar palsy. Incidence, prevalence, and disability-adjusted life-years (DALYs) were estimated using a Bayesian meta-regression model. Researchers analyzed 14,165 site-years of vital registration cause of death data using the Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries, and Risk Factors Study (GBD) 2016 cause of death ensemble model. The 84 risk factors quantified in GBD 2016 were tested for an association with incidence or death from motor neuron diseases. They found:
- In 2016, globally, 330,918 individuals had a motor neuron disease.
- Motor neuron diseases have caused 926,090 DALYs and 34,325 deaths in 2016.
- The worldwide all-age prevalence was 4.5 per 100,000 people, with an increase in age-standardized prevalence of 4.5% over the study period.
- The all-age incidence was 0.78 per 100,000 person-years.
- The largest age-standardized prevalence was in high Socio-demographic Index (SDI) regions: high-income North America (16.8), Australasia (14.7), and western Europe (12.9).
Logroscino G, Piccininni M, Marin B, et al, on behalf of the GBD 2016 Motor Neuron Disease Collaborators. Global, regional, and national burden of motor neuron diseases 1990–2016: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016. [Published online ahead of print November 5, 2018]. Lancet Neurol. doi:10.1016/S1474-4422(18)30404-6.
This Week's Must Reads
Global Burden of Brain and Other CNS Cancers, Lancet Neurol; ePub 2019 Feb 20; GBD 2016 Brain and Other CNS Cancer Collaborators
Ethnoracial Differences Found in Alzheimer Disease, Alzheimers Dement; ePub 2019 Feb 18; Santosa, et al
Artificially Sweetened Beverages and Stroke in Women, Stroke; ePub 2019 Feb 14; Mossavar-Rahmani, et al
Must Reads in Neuromuscular Disorders
Global Burden of Motor Neuron Diseases Examined, Lancet Neurol; ePub 2018 Nov 5; Logroscino, et al
FDA Approves Tiglutik for Treatment of ALS, ITF Pharma news release; 2018 Sep 6
FDA Approves Xeomin for Excessive Drooling, Merz North America news release; 2018 Jul 3
Integrated MRI and [11C]‐PBR28 PET Imaging in ALS, Ann Neurol; ePub 2018 May 8; Alshikho, et al
FDA Approves Hizentra for CIDP Treatment, CSL Behring news release; 2018 Mar 16