Clinical Edge

Summaries of Must-Read Clinical Literature, Guidelines, and FDA Actions

Impact of Sleep Disorders on Patients with MS

Int J MS Care; ePub 2018 Jun 25; White, et al

The presence of a diagnosed sleep disorder may negatively impact health-related quality of life (HRQoL) in persons with multiple sclerosis (MS), a recent study found. Therefore, providers should continue to screen for sleep disorders, given their negative impact in patients with MS and the availability of effective treatments for both insomnia and obstructive sleep apneas (OSA). Researchers conducted a retrospective chart review of 531 patients with MS; 287 (54%) of whom also had a comorbid sleep disorder (either insomnia or OSA) while the remaining 244 (46%) participants did not have a diagnosed sleep disorder. They found:

  • Neither (1) average ratings of depression or HRQOL nor (2) the proportion of moderate depression or moderately impaired HRQoL differed between individuals with MS+insomnia and MS+OSA.
  • Neither sleep disorder predicted increased depression or poorer HRQoL.
  • However, individuals with a comorbid sleep disorder (MS+insomnia or MS+OSA) had poorer HRQoL compared to those without a diagnosed sleep disorder (MS only).
Citation:

White EK, Sullivan AB, Drerup M, from the Mellen Center for Multiple Sclerosis, Cleveland Clinic Foundation. Impact of sleep disorders on depression and patient-perceived health-related quality of life in multiple sclerosis. [Published online ahead of print June 25, 2018]. Int J MS Care. doi:10.7224/1537-2073.2017-068.

This Week's Must Reads

Mindfulness, Education Both Improve Stress in MS, Mult Scler; ePub 2018 Jul 9; Senders, Hanes, et al

Hypertension More Common in MS Than Control Group, Mult Scler Relat Disord; ePub 2018 Jul 10; Saroufim, et al

CCL18 Plasma Levels Linked with Neurodegeneration, Mult Scler Relat Disord; ePub 2018 Jul 6; Ziliotto, et al

Organic Solvents, Smoking, and MS Susceptibility, Neurology; ePub 2018 Jul 3; Hedström, Hössjer, et al

MS Linked with Increased Risk of Divorce Among Men, Mult Scler Relat Disord; ePub 2018 Jul 3; Landfeldt, et al

Must Reads in Multiple Sclerosis

Mindfulness, Education Both Improve Stress in MS, Mult Scler; ePub 2018 Jul 9; Senders, Hanes, et al

Hypertension More Common in MS Than Control Group, Mult Scler Relat Disord; ePub 2018 Jul 10; Saroufim, et al

CCL18 Plasma Levels Linked with Neurodegeneration, Mult Scler Relat Disord; ePub 2018 Jul 6; Ziliotto, et al

Organic Solvents, Smoking, and MS Susceptibility, Neurology; ePub 2018 Jul 3; Hedström, Hössjer, et al

MS Linked with Increased Risk of Divorce Among Men, Mult Scler Relat Disord; ePub 2018 Jul 3; Landfeldt, et al