Both lesioning and stimulation thalamic surgeries for the treatment of various movement disorders produce adverse effects on speech, according to a recent study. A systematic review and meta-analysis was performed using 9 medical studies databases. Researchers retrieved studies between 1960 and September 2014. They found:
- Of a total of 2,320 patients, 19.8% had speech difficulty after thalamotomy.
- Speech difficulty occurred in 15% of those treated unilaterally and 40.6% of those treated bilaterally.
- Speech impairment was noticed 2- to 3-fold more commonly after left-sided procedures (40.7% vs 15.2%).
- Of the 572 patients that underwent DBS, 19.4% experienced speech difficulty.
- Subgroup analysis revealed that this complication occurs in 10.2% of patients treated unilaterally and 34.6% treated bilaterally.
- After thalamotomy, the risk was higher in Parkinson patients compared to patients with essential tremor: 19.8% vs 4.5% in the unilateral group and 42.5% vs 13.9% in the bilateral group.
- After DBS, this rate was higher in essential tremor patients.
Alomar S, King NK, Tam J, Bari AA, Hamani C, Lozeno AM. Speech and language adverse effects after thalamotomy and deep brain stimulation in patients with movement disorders: A meta-analysis. [Published online ahead of print January 25, 2017]. Mov Disord. doi:10.1002/mds.26924.
This Week's Must Reads
Global Burden of Brain and Other CNS Cancers, Lancet Neurol; ePub 2019 Feb 20; GBD 2016 Brain and Other CNS Cancer Collaborators
Ethnoracial Differences Found in Alzheimer Disease, Alzheimers Dement; ePub 2019 Feb 18; Santosa, et al
Must Reads in Movement Disorders
Tourette, CTD, and Cardiometabolic Disorders Link, JAMA Neurology; ePub 2018 Jan 14; Brander, et al
Study Compares 2 Cognitive Assessment Tools, Mov Disord; ePub 2018 Dec 10; Hendershott, et al
White Matter Differences Between ET and PD, Neurology; ePub 2018 Nov 30; Juttukonda, et al
Physical Activity and Clinical Progression in PD, Parkinsonism Relat Disord; ePub 2018 Dec 10; Amara, et al
Analyzing the Spectrum of Visual Symptoms in PD , Front Neurol; ePub 2018 Nov 27; Barrell, et al