Approximately 7% of the sample population in a recent study had restless leg syndrome (RLS) with periodic limb movements during sleep (PLMS “electro-clinical RLS”). This condition was more common among older individuals, did not vary by sex, and was less common among blacks. Cross-sectional data from 2,041 Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA) Sleep ancillary study participants were used. PLMS (>15 periodic limb movements per hour of sleep) was measured by polysomnography. RLS symptoms were assessed using the 2009 International Restless Legs Syndrome Study Group clinical criteria. Researchers found:
- The prevalence of RLS with PLMS was 6.7%, RLS alone 16.1%, and PLMS alone 21.2%.
- RLS with PLMS was prevalent in 7.0% of whites, 4.9% of blacks, 10.1% of Hispanics, and 3.3% of Chinese-Americans.
- In adjusted models, odds of RLS with PLMS was higher for those aged >67 years vs those younger.
- Relative to white participants, the prevalence of RLS with PLMS tended to be lower among blacks.
- The prevalence of concurrent RLS and PLMS did not statistically differ by sex or obesity status.
- RLS alone was more common in women.
Doan TT, Koo BB, Ogilvie RP, Redline S, Lutsey PL. Restless legs syndrome and periodic limb movements during sleep in the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis (MESA). [Published online ahead of print June 1, 2018]. Sleep. doi:10.1093/sleep/zsy106.
This Week's Must Reads
Stroke Care Comparison of Asian Americans and Whites, JAMA Neurology; ePub 2019 Jan 22; Song, Liang, et al
Aerobic Exercise Can Improve Executive Functioning , Neurology; 2019 Jan 15; Blumenthal, et al
Episodic Memory Decline is Neurodegenerative Marker, Neurology; ePub 2019 Jan 23; Wilson, Yang, et al
Serum Troponin Level Marker for Visceral Infarcts , J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis; ePub 2019 Jan 18; Azher, et al
Urine Sodium-to-Potassium Ratio Predicts Stroke, Stroke; ePub 2019 Jan 21; Averill, Young, et al
Must Reads in Movement Disorders
Tourette, CTD, and Cardiometabolic Disorders Link, JAMA Neurology; ePub 2018 Jan 14; Brander, et al
Study Compares 2 Cognitive Assessment Tools, Mov Disord; ePub 2018 Dec 10; Hendershott, et al
White Matter Differences Between ET and PD, Neurology; ePub 2018 Nov 30; Juttukonda, et al
Physical Activity and Clinical Progression in PD, Parkinsonism Relat Disord; ePub 2018 Dec 10; Amara, et al
Analyzing the Spectrum of Visual Symptoms in PD , Front Neurol; ePub 2018 Nov 27; Barrell, et al