Approximately 7% of the sample population in a recent study had restless leg syndrome (RLS) with periodic limb movements during sleep (PLMS “electro-clinical RLS”). This condition was more common among older individuals, did not vary by sex, and was less common among blacks. Cross-sectional data from 2,041 Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA) Sleep ancillary study participants were used. PLMS (>15 periodic limb movements per hour of sleep) was measured by polysomnography. RLS symptoms were assessed using the 2009 International Restless Legs Syndrome Study Group clinical criteria. Researchers found:
- The prevalence of RLS with PLMS was 6.7%, RLS alone 16.1%, and PLMS alone 21.2%.
- RLS with PLMS was prevalent in 7.0% of whites, 4.9% of blacks, 10.1% of Hispanics, and 3.3% of Chinese-Americans.
- In adjusted models, odds of RLS with PLMS was higher for those aged >67 years vs those younger.
- Relative to white participants, the prevalence of RLS with PLMS tended to be lower among blacks.
- The prevalence of concurrent RLS and PLMS did not statistically differ by sex or obesity status.
- RLS alone was more common in women.
Doan TT, Koo BB, Ogilvie RP, Redline S, Lutsey PL. Restless legs syndrome and periodic limb movements during sleep in the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis (MESA). [Published online ahead of print June 1, 2018]. Sleep. doi:10.1093/sleep/zsy106.
This Week's Must Reads
Higher Cortisol Linked with Lower Brain Volume, Neurology; ePub 2018 Oct 24; Echouffo-Tcheugui, et al
Ischemic Stroke Transfers in the Northeastern US, J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis; ePub 2018 Oct 30; Zachrison, et al
Predictors of Recurrent Hospitalizations Post-TIA, J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis; ePub 2018 Oct 17; Yousufuddin, et al
Sleep Apnea Associated with Less Healthful Diet, Sleep; ePub 2018 Oct 22; Reid, Maras, Shea, et al
Hypertension, Obesity, Cognitive Decline Examined , Alzheimers Dement; ePub 2018 Oct 24; Clark, et al
Must Reads in Movement Disorders
Alcohol Responsiveness Predictors in Dystonia, Neurology; ePub 2018 Oct 19; Junker, et al
Predictors of Self-Perceived Stigma in PD, Parkinson Relat Disord; ePub 2018 Oct 5; Salazar, et al
Body Position Spatial Task: Feasible and Valid Test , Neurorehabil Neural Repair; ePub 2018 Oct 15; Battisto, et al
Mild Cognitive Impairment in Essential Tremor, J Int Neuropsychol Soc; ePub 2018 Oct 10; Cersonsky, et al
Variables Influencing Accuracy, Efficiency in DBS, Oper Neurosurg (Hagerstown); ePub 2018 Oct 18; Mirzadeh, et al