A significant number of adults have periodic limb movements in sleep (PLMS) and prevalence increased with age, a recent study found. However, there was no noteworthy association between prevalence of periodic limb movement index (PLMI) category and sleepiness unless stratified by restless leg syndrome (RLS) symptoms. Researchers identified limb movements in 2,335 Wisconsin Sleep Cohort polysomnograms collected over 12 years. PLMI ≥15 was calculated at baseline (n=1,084). McNemar's test assessed changes in prevalence over time. They found:
- Prevalence of PLMI ≥15 at baseline was 25.3%.
- Longitudinal prevalence increased significantly with age.
- Sleepiness did not differ significantly between PLMI groups unless stratified by RLS symptoms.
- The RLS+/PLM+ group was sleepier than the RLS+/PLM− group.
- Multiple Sleep Latency Test trended towards increased alertness in the RLS−/PLM+ group compared to RLS−/PLM−.
- Results indicate that RLS and PLMS may have distinct clinical consequences and interactions that can help guide treatment approach.
Leary EB, Moore IV HE, Schneider LD, Finn LA, Peppard PE, Mignot E. Periodic limb movements in sleep: Prevalence and associated sleepiness in the Wisconsin Sleep Cohort. Clin Neurophysiol. 2018;129(11):2306-2314. doi:10.1016/j.clinph.2018.08.022.
This Week's Must Reads
Examining Brain Markers for Late-Onset Epilepsy, Neurology; ePub 2019 Jan 25; Johnson, et al
Hearing Loss Linked Cognitive Decline Risk in Men, Alzheimers Dement; ePub 2019 Jan 29; Curhan, et al
Brain Cholesterol Metabolism and PD Examined, Mov Disord; ePub 2019 Jan 25; Huang, et al
Sleep Behavior Disorder, Clinical Progression in PD, Parkinsonism Relat Disord; ePub 2019 Jan 29; Duarte Folle, et al
Spontaneous Subarachnoid Hemorrhage During Pregnancy, J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis; ePub 2019 Jan 30; Limaye, et al
Must Reads in Movement Disorders
Tourette, CTD, and Cardiometabolic Disorders Link, JAMA Neurology; ePub 2018 Jan 14; Brander, et al
Study Compares 2 Cognitive Assessment Tools, Mov Disord; ePub 2018 Dec 10; Hendershott, et al
White Matter Differences Between ET and PD, Neurology; ePub 2018 Nov 30; Juttukonda, et al
Physical Activity and Clinical Progression in PD, Parkinsonism Relat Disord; ePub 2018 Dec 10; Amara, et al
Analyzing the Spectrum of Visual Symptoms in PD , Front Neurol; ePub 2018 Nov 27; Barrell, et al