Parkinson disease (PD) patients undergoing lumbar surgery for degenerative conditions have increased length of stay (LOS) and costs when compared to patients without PD, according to a recent study. Researchers examined the Nationwide Inpatient Sample from 2002 to 2011. Patients were included for study based on ICD-9-CM procedural codes for lumbar spine surgery and substratified to degenerative diagnoses. Incidence and baseline patient characteristics were determined. Multivariable analysis was performed to determine independent risk factors increasing incidence of lumbar fusion revision in PD patients. They found:
- PD patients account for 0.9% of all degenerative lumbar procedures.
- At baseline, PD patients are older (70.7 vs 58.9) and more likely to be male (58.6% male).
- Mean LOS was increased in PD patients undergoing lumbar fusion (5.1 days vs 4.0 days) and lumbar fusion revision (6.2 days vs 4.8 days).
- Costs were 7.9% higher for lumbar fusion and 25.2% higher for lumbar fusion revision in PD patients.
- Multivariable analysis indicates that osteoporosis, fluid/electrolyte disorders, blood loss anemia, and insurance status are significant independent predictors of lumbar fusion revision in patients with PD.
Steinberger J, Gilligan J, Skovrlj B, et al. The effect of Parkinson’s disease on patients undergoing lumbar spine surgery. [Published online ahead of print June 27, 2018]. Parkinsons Dis. doi:10.1155/2018/8428403.
This Week's Must Reads
Vegetable/Fruit Intake Benefits Cognitive Function, Neurology; ePub 2018 Nov 21; Yuan, Fondell, et al
Alzheimer Dementia and Age-Related Neuropathologies, Ann Neurol; ePub 2018 Nov 12; Boyle, Yu, et al
Kidney Function and Post-Stroke Mortality Examined, Stroke; ePub 2018 Nov 9; El Husseini, Fonarow, et al
Meditation May Help to Alleviate US Stroke Burden, J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis; ePub 2018 Nov 24; Ambavane, et al
FDA Approves Firdapse for Rare Autoimmune Disorder, FDA news release; 2018 Nov 28
Must Reads in Movement Disorders
Cortical Dynamics in Essential Tremor Examined, Mov Disord; ePub 2018 Oct 21; Roy, et al
Distinguishing PD from PSP Through Biomarker, J Parkinsons Dis; 2018 Oct; Bottero, et al
Self-Reported Activity in Veterans with PD is Low, Parkinsonism Relat Disord; ePub 2018 Oct 23; Mantri, et al
End-Of-Life Experiences in Dementia with Lewy Bodies, J Am Geriatr Soc; ePub 2018 Oct 6; Armstrong, et al
First-Degree Kin of Patients with ET and Cognition, Parkinsonism Relat Disord; ePub 2018 Oct 30; Meyers, et al