All-cause, unplanned readmission for deep brain stimulation (DBS) was 1.9% within 30-days and 4.3% within 90-days, according to a recent study that sought to determine the national rates, causes, predictors, and outcomes associated with 30-day and 90-day readmission. The Nationwide Readmissions Database (NRD) was used to identify patients who underwent DBS for movement disorder (Parkinson disease [PD], essential tremor [ET], or dystonia). Variables included categorical age, gender, insurance, comorbidities, type of movement disorder, length of stay (LOS), total costs, and discharge disposition. Researchers found:
- A total of 3,392 DBS patients were identified [PD (70.7%), ET (25.6%), dystonia (3.7%)].
- The rate of unplanned readmissions was 1.9% at 30-days and 4.3% at 90 days.
- The overall NRD incidence (all patient populations) of 30-day readmission is 11.6%.
- Readmissions most frequently resulted from surgical complications including hematoma and attention to surgical wounds.
- Elderly, obese, and those with comorbidities such as history of stroke or coronary artery disease are at highest risk.
- The average LOS, mean total cost, and rate of adverse discharge were worse for 30-day (9 days, $64,520, 71.7%) compared to 90-day readmission (6 days, $52,183, 56.5%).
Rumalla K, Smith KA, Follett KA, Nazzaro JM, Arnold PM. Rates, causes, risk factors, and outcomes of readmission following deep brain stimulation for movement disorders: Analysis of the U.S. Nationwide Readmissions Database. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2018;171:129-134. doi:10.1016/j.clineuro.2018.06.013.
This Week's Must Reads
Behavioral Activation May Cut Dementia Disparity, JAMA Neurology; ePub 2018 Sep 10; Rovner, et al
GFAP: Marker of Brain Injury in Acute Mild TBI , Neurology; ePub 2018 Sept 12; Gill, Latour, et al
Study Identifies Acute Ischemic Stroke Risk Factors, J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis; ePub 2018 Sep 8; Kim, et al
Deployment-Related TBI and Back Pain in Veterans, J Pain; ePub 2018 Aug 30; Suri, Stolzmann, et al
Treatment Outcomes Post-Surgery for Moyamoya Disease, J Neurol; ePub 2018 Sep 8; Kahn, Kaur, Stein, et al
Must Reads in Movement Disorders
Unilateral Thalamic Stimulation Improved Axial ET, Parkinsonism Relat Disord; ePub 2018 Sep 6; Mitchell, et al
Balance-Gait Disorder Risk Factor for Dementia in PD, J Parkinsons Dis; ePub 2018 Aug 13; Lichter, et al
Suicidal Ideation Prevalent in Persons with HD, J Huntingtons Dis; 2018 Jul 31; Wesson, et al
Everyday Functioning in Parkinson Disease Assessed, Parkinsonism Relat Disord; ePub 2018 Sep 1; Lopez, et al
Comparison of 2 DBS Methods for Essential Tremor, Mov Disord; ePub 2018 Sep 5; Fenoy, Schiess