Changes in the distribution of climbing fiber-Purkinje cell (CF-PC) synapses are broadly part of the neurodegenerative process in the essential tremor (ET) cerebellum, a recent study found. Researchers studied 2 CF-PC synaptic pathologies (CF synaptic density and percentage of CFs in the parallel fiber [PF] territory) in the cerebella of 60 ET cases with a range of clinical presentations and 30 age-matched controls. They found:
- Compared to controls, ET cases had lower CF synaptic density and a higher percentage of CFs in the PF territory.
- ET cases with tremor onset <50 years and tremor onset ≥50 years did not differ significantly with respect to CF synaptic density and percentage of CFs in the PF territory.
- Similar results were found when comparing familial vs sporadic ET cases, and ET cases with head tremor vs those without head tremor.
- Among all ET cases, lower CF synaptic density was associated with lower PC counts and higher torpedo counts.
- In addition, higher percentage of CFs in the PF territory was associated with lower PC counts and higher torpedo counts.
Lee D, Gan S-R, Faust PL, Louis ED, Kuo S-H. Climbing fiber-Purkinje cell synaptic pathology across essential tremor subtypes. [Published online ahead of print February 19, 2018]. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. doi:10.1016/j.parkreldis.2018.02.032
This Week's Must Reads
Quality of Life Varies in the Early Stages of MS, Disabil Health J; ePub 2018 May 31; Strober
Molecular Signature of EBV in MS Brain Lesions, Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm; 2018 Jul; Moreno, et al
3D-FLAIR Detects Highest Infratentorial MS Lesions, Clin Imaging; 2018 Sep-Oct; Wang, Uribe, et al
Examining the Progression of Fatigue in MS, Mult Scler; 2018 Jun; van der Vuurst de Vries, et al
Psychosocial Adjustment in People with MS, Int J MS Care; 2018 May/Jun; Grech, et al
Must Reads in Movement Disorders
Tourette Syndrome, Tic Disorders, and Education, JAMA Neurology; ePub 2018 May 29; Pérez-Vigil, et al
RLS with PLMS More Common in Elderly Persons, Sleep; ePub 2018 Jun 1; Doan, Koo, Ogilvie, et al
Predicting Alpha-Synuclein Pathology Pre-Mortem, Parkinsonism Relat Disord; ePub 2018 May 17; Shprecher, et al
Excessive Daytime Sleepiness: Early Feature of DLB , Parkinsonism Relat Disord; 2018 May; Kasanuki, et al
HIV in HD Linked with Earlier Age of Symptom Onset, J Huntingtons Dis; 2018 Jun 1; Schultz, et al